Returned to the Pool after a 30 Year "break"

Former Member
Former Member
Hello All: This past week found me back in the pool for a coached workout for the first time in 30+ years. I swam high school & college but my college career ended strangely largely due to the fact I had undiagnosed asthma. I didn't find out I had it until 15 years after I hung up my suit. So I stayed away from swimming for some reasons that don't make a lot of sense anymore. A month or so ago I went to a local pool & swam a bit. I found out I really missed it. A lot. So just over a week ago I found our local USMS club, joined, and this week just past swam my first four workouts in decades. I really love it!:banana: I would enjoy hearing from others who took a long or longer break from swimming & returned. What's was it like to get back in the pool after so long? How is it for you now? Thanks! --Zwemmer (simply Dutch for "swimmer"), also known as Benjamin.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I have been swimming since December of 2017, after taking a swim for fitness class 30 years ago in college. I am up to a daily 3/4 mile -1 mile workouts abd have swam a mile and a mile 1/2 without stopping and one two miles session, with a break. I am completely loving swimming as my main form of working out! I started with 10 laps.... Hello Evhisbeast: Thanks for your story. I'm continually impressed with how many people get so much out of the water & for so many reasons. I don't think there is anything quite like swimming for working out & also being pretty kind to the body. I'm not sure I could swim a continuous mile without stopping but if I did I'd be going reeeeeeallllly slow the last half. :)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I have been swimming since December of 2017, after taking a swim for fitness class 30 years ago in college. I am up to a daily 3/4 mile -1 mile workouts abd have swam a mile and a mile 1/2 without stopping and one two miles session, with a break. I am completely loving swimming as my main form of working out! I started with 10 laps.... Hello Evhisbeast: Thanks for your story. I'm continually impressed with how many people get so much out of the water & for so many reasons. I don't think there is anything quite like swimming for working out & also being pretty kind to the body. I'm not sure I could swim a continuous mile without stopping but if I did I'd be going reeeeeeallllly slow the last half. :)
Children
No Data