Returned to the Pool after a 30 Year "break"

Former Member
Former Member
Hello All: This past week found me back in the pool for a coached workout for the first time in 30+ years. I swam high school & college but my college career ended strangely largely due to the fact I had undiagnosed asthma. I didn't find out I had it until 15 years after I hung up my suit. So I stayed away from swimming for some reasons that don't make a lot of sense anymore. A month or so ago I went to a local pool & swam a bit. I found out I really missed it. A lot. So just over a week ago I found our local USMS club, joined, and this week just past swam my first four workouts in decades. I really love it!:banana: I would enjoy hearing from others who took a long or longer break from swimming & returned. What's was it like to get back in the pool after so long? How is it for you now? Thanks! --Zwemmer (simply Dutch for "swimmer"), also known as Benjamin.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Hello swim_badger: Thanks for your story. I appreciate all you've had to go through. I also wish you the best of luck and fortune and am happy you're involved in so many activities & swimming as well. I can relate to the MH issues. I had and have some myself. I an also relate to the water as destiny idea. It seems to be my element in more ways than I understand right now. My local masters team, Palmetto Masters, is really diverse in terms of age, swimming ability, and workout possibilities. I feel fortunate to have found them. Everyone from just out of college to people in their 80's and all having a good time. I decided to count number of workouts and not log yardage, at least not yet, and today, my 5th workout in all these years, I'm pretty sure I swam 1,500+ yards. The contrast between my rapidly returning feel for the water and my need to build muscle and oxygen carrying capacity is just funny to me where as years ago it would have been overwhelmingly frustrating. Progress!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Hello swim_badger: Thanks for your story. I appreciate all you've had to go through. I also wish you the best of luck and fortune and am happy you're involved in so many activities & swimming as well. I can relate to the MH issues. I had and have some myself. I an also relate to the water as destiny idea. It seems to be my element in more ways than I understand right now. My local masters team, Palmetto Masters, is really diverse in terms of age, swimming ability, and workout possibilities. I feel fortunate to have found them. Everyone from just out of college to people in their 80's and all having a good time. I decided to count number of workouts and not log yardage, at least not yet, and today, my 5th workout in all these years, I'm pretty sure I swam 1,500+ yards. The contrast between my rapidly returning feel for the water and my need to build muscle and oxygen carrying capacity is just funny to me where as years ago it would have been overwhelmingly frustrating. Progress!
Children
No Data