Returned to the Pool after a 30 Year "break"

Former Member
Former Member
Hello All: This past week found me back in the pool for a coached workout for the first time in 30+ years. I swam high school & college but my college career ended strangely largely due to the fact I had undiagnosed asthma. I didn't find out I had it until 15 years after I hung up my suit. So I stayed away from swimming for some reasons that don't make a lot of sense anymore. A month or so ago I went to a local pool & swam a bit. I found out I really missed it. A lot. So just over a week ago I found our local USMS club, joined, and this week just past swam my first four workouts in decades. I really love it!:banana: I would enjoy hearing from others who took a long or longer break from swimming & returned. What's was it like to get back in the pool after so long? How is it for you now? Thanks! --Zwemmer (simply Dutch for "swimmer"), also known as Benjamin.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    cinc3100, Thank you for your story, too. And especially the account of distance and times. Sounds like you're doing really well. I need to go see if i have my old swim records someplace. I think my best SCY 100BR was 57.3 or something like that in the early 80's. I'm surprised I don't remember! It's too early to tell what kind of speed I might still have. I kept in shape over the years but not in the water. I did find myself sprinting a 50 at the end of Friday's workout & it was a 30 or 31 push-off to touch so I will use that as some kind of benchmark and see what happens. I really appreciate your and Bruinswim's replies. I feel much more at home. :)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    cinc3100, Thank you for your story, too. And especially the account of distance and times. Sounds like you're doing really well. I need to go see if i have my old swim records someplace. I think my best SCY 100BR was 57.3 or something like that in the early 80's. I'm surprised I don't remember! It's too early to tell what kind of speed I might still have. I kept in shape over the years but not in the water. I did find myself sprinting a 50 at the end of Friday's workout & it was a 30 or 31 push-off to touch so I will use that as some kind of benchmark and see what happens. I really appreciate your and Bruinswim's replies. I feel much more at home. :)
Children
No Data