What sets apart a average swimmer from a truly great one?

Former Member
Former Member
I've been swimming my entire life yet the fastest my 50m freestyle ever got was 28.7 seconds while using a tech suit. Yet I see many Olympians and others that have almost the same muscle mass and proportions and they swim consistent 23's. How is this so?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I've heard people like Spitz, Gaines, Betsy Mitchell, Rich Saeger, Steve Lundquist and others of the late 70's/80's generation of Olympic medalists talk about such things and never heard them say that kind of thing. Yeah, I read over what I've written and I'm embarrassed. It was wrong of me to speculate like that - particularly with real people's names, when I don't know any of those people, and - to my knowledge- they might speak of any contender with total respect. I apologize. I was kinda basing my thoughts on how stellar college professors will dis to grad students about respectable tenured profs in good standing with solid, but non-stellar, outputs.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I've heard people like Spitz, Gaines, Betsy Mitchell, Rich Saeger, Steve Lundquist and others of the late 70's/80's generation of Olympic medalists talk about such things and never heard them say that kind of thing. Yeah, I read over what I've written and I'm embarrassed. It was wrong of me to speculate like that - particularly with real people's names, when I don't know any of those people, and - to my knowledge- they might speak of any contender with total respect. I apologize. I was kinda basing my thoughts on how stellar college professors will dis to grad students about respectable tenured profs in good standing with solid, but non-stellar, outputs.
Children
No Data