What sets apart a average swimmer from a truly great one?

Former Member
Former Member
I've been swimming my entire life yet the fastest my 50m freestyle ever got was 28.7 seconds while using a tech suit. Yet I see many Olympians and others that have almost the same muscle mass and proportions and they swim consistent 23's. How is this so?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Cody Miller is a breaststroke. We have different dimensions than other simmers. We do? :) That was my best stroke & events and may be again. I'm 6'4" and more Phelps-like than Miller-like. Doesn't seem to have been an obstacle. All kidding aside, I find the OP's question always fascinating. We have Phelps & Miller, both with different forms but both are unquestionably great swimmers. All those physical attributes combine with great coaching, talent, technique, drive, circumstance, and all kinds of factors that make a great swimmer. Sometimes they seem to be easy to spot early, others not as much. I find this makes swimming an ever-interesting sport because so many kinds of people bring so many different things and so much to it.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Cody Miller is a breaststroke. We have different dimensions than other simmers. We do? :) That was my best stroke & events and may be again. I'm 6'4" and more Phelps-like than Miller-like. Doesn't seem to have been an obstacle. All kidding aside, I find the OP's question always fascinating. We have Phelps & Miller, both with different forms but both are unquestionably great swimmers. All those physical attributes combine with great coaching, talent, technique, drive, circumstance, and all kinds of factors that make a great swimmer. Sometimes they seem to be easy to spot early, others not as much. I find this makes swimming an ever-interesting sport because so many kinds of people bring so many different things and so much to it.
Children
No Data