What sets apart a average swimmer from a truly great one?

Former Member
Former Member
I've been swimming my entire life yet the fastest my 50m freestyle ever got was 28.7 seconds while using a tech suit. Yet I see many Olympians and others that have almost the same muscle mass and proportions and they swim consistent 23's. How is this so?
Parents
  • Lots of good answers here but we shouldn't forget the importance of a great coach! Whether that coach was someone who worked with the swimmer from a younger age or later in life, the impact of a great coach can be felt lifelong. Also important is having a strong support group (family, spouse, friends) to allow that swimmer to make the sacrifices it takes to be truly great.
  • Lots of good answers here but we shouldn't forget the importance of a great coach! Whether that coach was someone who worked with the swimmer from a younger age or later in life, the impact of a great coach can be felt lifelong. Also important is having a strong support group (family, spouse, friends) to allow that swimmer to make the sacrifices it takes to be truly great.
Children
No Data