Still can't do proper dolphin kicks

I was told long ago that practicing dolphin kicks with short fins would help me train for learning the proper technique. I got back into swimming at 54 after a 36 year layoff and have now been at it for six years. Back in my youth days, swimmers did not do dolphin kicks. I feel like I do it great WITH the fins, but when I take them off, I got nothing! I still don't think I can do a proper dolphin kick and think I do better (in freestyle) by just surfacing and starting my stroke as soon as possible. I can't seem to get the body undulation thing down. Should I keep trying and if so, any tips? Am I alone in failing to properly be able to do this? Any drills to help master this?
Parents
  • I am still here. I had a non-sanctioned meet Sunday. I swam 25 and 50 meter freestyle. On both, I had a nice entry, counted to three (one, one-thousand, etc.), then just scissor-kicked until I surfaced, which was only 3-4 kicks including both legs. I will continue to try to get it in practice.
  • I am still here. I had a non-sanctioned meet Sunday. I swam 25 and 50 meter freestyle. On both, I had a nice entry, counted to three (one, one-thousand, etc.), then just scissor-kicked until I surfaced, which was only 3-4 kicks including both legs. I will continue to try to get it in practice.
Children
No Data