Chlorine triggering asthma and allergies

Former Member
Former Member
How do professional swimmers guard against getting asthma from chlorine in pools? www.reuters.com/.../us-allergies-pools-idUSTRE58E0N120090915 I swam for years but then developed dustmite allergy and mild asthma and i know it was from swimming,as i used to sneeze so much afterwards. Recently went to outdoor lido as supposed to be better as fumes blow away but my nose still stuffed up next day and sneezed a few times :( I love swimming but not sure its safe for me?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Seconding Zwemmer - what kind of allergy medications do you take now? Do you have a rescue inhaler? How many times per week are you using it? If it's more than a few, I strongly recommend seeing a doctor about something long-term. It could simply be the moisture (and everything in it - chlorine, human sweat, possible pee, byproducts, etc) is irritating your airway - indoor pools are pretty humid environments, where an outdoor pool will be less so. I always shower after swimming with something like UltraSwim and find that helps me from getting too sniffly.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Seconding Zwemmer - what kind of allergy medications do you take now? Do you have a rescue inhaler? How many times per week are you using it? If it's more than a few, I strongly recommend seeing a doctor about something long-term. It could simply be the moisture (and everything in it - chlorine, human sweat, possible pee, byproducts, etc) is irritating your airway - indoor pools are pretty humid environments, where an outdoor pool will be less so. I always shower after swimming with something like UltraSwim and find that helps me from getting too sniffly.
Children
No Data