Adult swim clinic / private coach

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, I've been swimming with a Master's team, but I feel like my stroke deficiency (in all of the strokes) is not allowing me to improve. I can barely swim 50yards, and then have to stop. I know it's a breathing problem on freestyle, but again, lots of corrections need to be made on all my strokes. Watching youtube videos can only get me so far... I tried looking for a private coach, but it seems most places here only do private adult swimming classes for people who don't know how to swim at all. The USMS clinics sound perfect, but there are none around me right now. I looked at fitterandfaster.com - do adults usually go to those, or are they mostly for kids in swim teams? Any help and/or suggestion would be really appreciated :)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I think the solution is just persistency. I started swimming 2 years ago. I didn't know free style at all, wasn't able to swim more than 25 meters. I thought the issue was something technical - The way I kick, the way I rotate to breath, my stroke is inefficient... etc. Basically, all these are true. If a professional analyses my swim style, he will find tons of errors. But one day I talked to a swim coach. I expressed my frustration. I told him all I want to be able to do is swim 30 mins, slowly and easily. But my breathing is this, and my kicking is that and so on. He gave my a very simple advice. He said - You are thinking too much. Join a swim group, swim 3 times a week. In 3 month, you will get to where you want to be. And you he was right. My swim style is still crap, but I persisted, and today I can swim 5 Km in OW if I want. My conclusion is that we tend to look for the magic trick which will solve the puzzle. But endurance builds with time. You need to be persistent and you will see results.
  • I think the solution is just persistency. I started swimming 2 years ago. I didn't know free style at all, wasn't able to swim more than 25 meters. I thought the issue was something technical - The way I kick, the way I rotate to breath, my stroke is inefficient... etc. Basically, all these are true. If a professional analyses my swim style, he will find tons of errors. But one day I talked to a swim coach. I expressed my frustration. I told him all I want to be able to do is swim 30 mins, slowly and easily. But my breathing is this, and my kicking is that and so on. He gave my a very simple advice. He said - You are thinking too much. Join a swim group, swim 3 times a week. In 3 month, you will get to where you want to be. And you he was right. My swim style is still crap, but I persisted, and today I can swim 5 Km in OW if I want. My conclusion is that we tend to look for the magic trick which will solve the puzzle. But endurance builds with time. You need to be persistent and you will see results. Great job on your progress with swimming. You are certainly correct that there is no immediate magic trick and endurance takes time and persistence. I would simply add "stroke technique and endurance take time" to that sentence. You can try to build up endurance but without the right technique you may not reach your full potential and there is also the risk of injuries in the process.
  • I know it's a breathing problem on freestyle, but again, lots of corrections need to be made on all my strokes. Just my opinion, but you should stop at the underlined part. Again, my opinion, but breathing properly is the single more important thing you can do. Once I had that explained to me, I was able to get everythign else I was supposed to be doing sorted out. But I simply HAD to get my breathing right. Look for Gary Hall Sr's videos at www.theraceclub.com for some overall tips. Disclaimer: Not a coach, didn't swim at any high level, just a guy who has slogged through trying to learn himself.
  • Definitely say something to your coach! Many won't offer tips unless asked to specifically. Also check the ALTS instructor list for a possible one on one, many instructors are also coaches and have pool time for lessons. At my club we have a stroke development program called bridge to masters which focuses on technique. Most new swimmers have issues with breathing at first. Karen
  • I REALLY appreciate everyone’s suggestions. As for the questions - we do have a coach, .... I might be able to approach the coach and ask for some specific drills, instead of “can you tell me what I’m doing wrong?” when there are so many people in practice already. Hey Jersey - Have you asked the coach if s/he might be able to come a little earl or stay a little later and give you specific technique critique and a pointer or two? Often, s/he will be happy to do so, and flattered if you later report on how the tips are helping you.