Thinking of wearing a wetsuit for a 5.5 mile race.

I have a July race 5.5 miles. Temperature will not be an issue, I just want the wetsuit for speed. Anyone ever go that long in a suit? I’m a little nervous about doing it.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Hey Rob, The ocean is still nippy enough during mid July to be ok with a suit - but if this race is in the bay, you're going to cook yourself. Definitely consider a sleeveless, and if not - check the weather conditions. If it's sunny, the dark suit really absorbs heat. The previous two posts have some excellent advise. Steve does a one or two miler each year in Montauk which is actually comfortable with the suit. But the bay water is going to be like a bath tub come July. It's already warming up pretty nicely in the shallows. Good Luck! Best, Val
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Hey Rob, The ocean is still nippy enough during mid July to be ok with a suit - but if this race is in the bay, you're going to cook yourself. Definitely consider a sleeveless, and if not - check the weather conditions. If it's sunny, the dark suit really absorbs heat. The previous two posts have some excellent advise. Steve does a one or two miler each year in Montauk which is actually comfortable with the suit. But the bay water is going to be like a bath tub come July. It's already warming up pretty nicely in the shallows. Good Luck! Best, Val
Children
No Data