Arm swelling after swimming

I have been having swelling in my right bicep & forearm for almost 2 years. It happens when I swim for more than 20 min straight. I have no pain, tingling or numbness. It goes down after a few hours. Over the last 2 years I've seen 3 doctors who have said there was nothing wrong with me. I've had an xray, ultrasound, MRI and MRA. All of which didn't show anything. Met a woman getting out of the water in September after an ocean swim. She was freaking out telling me that I have TOS and that I need to go to her surgeon in Baltimore. I agreed that I needed figure out why my arm was swelling, but I figured I'd start locally in the NJ/NY area. She was in insistent that what I had was rare and that no other doctor would be able to diagnose me. She had different symptoms than I did: blue arm, pain, numbness. I don't have any of those symptoms. I have just had swelling for the past 2 years. I swim 3-4 times a week. I recently went to a sports medicine Dr at HSS who sent me to a thoracic surgeon. I have a venogram scheduled for the end of February. This is the first available time I am able to get this done. I wasn't a fan of the Dr as he started suggesting what I have before I even do the venogram. I feel as though any surgeon is going to suggest surgery as the fix. He already talked about possibly having to remove my top rib if I want to continue to swim. I haven't even had the test yet! Every swimmer and coach I've asked have not seen anything like this. Anyone have any advice or info about this?
Parents
  • That seemed likely as Leslie indicated there aren't that many expert docs around for this condition. I believe she traveled from Pitt to Baltimore for the surgery. But before that she went through a long list of diagnostic procedures that she describes in her blog and also describes her early symptoms. You can send her a PM with any questions and I'm sure she would be willing to help. She was a gymnast before swimming, highly developed muscularly, compact, a lightning fast sprinter with a highly developed UDK, and her sister also had the problem, so she believes there is a family link. Much information is on her blog.
  • That seemed likely as Leslie indicated there aren't that many expert docs around for this condition. I believe she traveled from Pitt to Baltimore for the surgery. But before that she went through a long list of diagnostic procedures that she describes in her blog and also describes her early symptoms. You can send her a PM with any questions and I'm sure she would be willing to help. She was a gymnast before swimming, highly developed muscularly, compact, a lightning fast sprinter with a highly developed UDK, and her sister also had the problem, so she believes there is a family link. Much information is on her blog.
Children
No Data