Times invalidated because of pool measurement certification

I, along with 58 others, swam the Southern LCM championship on 7/29-30/2017. We did so in the University of New Orleans Pool in New Orleans, LA just as we have for years with the exception of the Hurricane Katrina year and several subsequent years. My problem is that, when I checked my times of the USMS website, the times were in red with an explanation that they could not be used as official for records because the pool's measurement was not certified as it had a moveable bulkhead. I emailed Southern and asked why the certification had not been sent in and they replied that it had been sent but it had an error and USMS would not let it be corrected. This bummed me out as I had 4 top 10 swims and 5 Southern record swims for my age group. This seems to be an awful price to pay for the innocent, dues and event paying participant who has no control pool certification. All we know is that the bulkhead is at the far end of the pool, 50 meters, where it always has been for LCM meets in the past. There is nothing obvious that we can detect or correct to make the pool certifiable and there is no way to make sure the form is sent in correctly. There must be some way USMS can rectify this situation without invalidating the times of the swimmers who invested time and money in the meet.
  • That much flex, it seems to me. to be a construction design fault. We need to make manufactures hold to specified amount of flex . Maybe additional anchor points along the length of the movable wall portion. so you are willing to put up the monies for this, thanks for volunteering
  • bulkheads move period they flex the holes egg out the wrong pins may be used and there are a few ways to even cheat with them - yes ive seen it i've seen World Records erased - same meet as my top 10s that were erased bulkheads need to be measured as per the rules
  • See Paul Windrath's post. You'll be fine! :cheerleader: That's not how I'm reading the meet information. I will be contacting both the meet host and the National Office to make sure. Don't want any surprises when I try to enter the 1650 without a valid NQT.
  • If I were selling these --- a suggestion to the manufacture to improve them and if they did, would be a greater selling point.
  • Bob, I understand your frustration in having top 10 swims invalidated. I've probably lost over 20 TT times over the past 25 years due to RD not submitting results and inaccurate pool lengths. I was also at the meet in question, spending two nights in hotels, meals, travel, etc. My goal was to get a NQT in the mile to use for SC Nationals in Indy. My 1500 meter time was 35 seconds faster than the NQT straight up and over a minute faster when converted from LCM to SCY. My question to USMS is: Am I going to have to go to another out of town meet, with the attendant expenses, when my invalidated time is easily faster than the NQT? Per Paul's earlier post, 1/4 inch per length comes out to about 8 inches over 1500 meters. Obviously it won't take me over a minute to cover those 8 inches. And no, I can't enter this event without a NQT per the meet information. Karlene, Here is a link to the NQT FAQ: www.usms.org/comp/NQT-FAQ.pdf Here is a cut and paste of the relevant section that may answer your question: 3. Where can I swim my times (e.g. does it have to be a USMS meet)? Can a USA-S meet, a nonsanctioned meet or a time from my coach during workout count as achieving the NQT? It does not have to be swum at a USMS sanctioned meet. It can be swum at a USA-S meet, a YMCA meet or during a time trial or in a workout with your coach. So no, you don't have to travel to another meet. Jeff Roddin USMS Championship Committee Chair
  • bulkheads move period they flex the holes egg out the wrong pins may be used and there are a few ways to even cheat with them - yes ive seen it i've seen World Records erased - same meet as my top 10s that were erased bulkheads need to be measured as per the rules Exactly. The only way to know for sure if the pool meets the requirements is to measure it before and during the course of a meet. That much flex, it seems to me. to be a construction design fault. We need to make manufactures hold to specified amount of flex Not really. It's a function of the lane lines being tightened. Tighten them too much and there's going to be some bowing.
  • Karlene, Here is a link to the NQT FAQ: www.usms.org/comp/NQT-FAQ.pdf Here is a cut and paste of the relevant section that may answer your question: So no, you don't have to travel to another meet. Jeff Roddin USMS Championship Committee Chair Thanks for the clarification, Jeff. I do find it odd that NQTs are required but an honor system is being used. Assumed a verification for that time would be expected to avoid super slow entries (the purpose of a NQT).
  • So Jeff, just for clarification, if the coach captures a time for you that meets the NQT standards, does it have to be recorded anywhere? Or is this where the honor system comes into play? We have a tiny team in Memphis and are looking for opportunities for some of our folks to go to Nationals and do more than three events if they can. Thanks in advance. I had the same kind of question because I didn't know if I'd be able to go to an SCY meet before Nationals and I wanted to expand from my SCM meet schedule of 50s, and it does indeed look like it's more or less an honor system - there isn't a proof-of-time procedure like in USA-S meets.
  • So Jeff, just for clarification, if the coach captures a time for you that meets the NQT standards, does it have to be recorded anywhere? Or is this where the honor system comes into play? We have a tiny team in Memphis and are looking for opportunities for some of our folks to go to Nationals and do more than three events if they can. Thanks in advance. See FAQ&A here: forums.usms.org/showthread.php
  • Thanks for the clarification, Jeff. I do find it odd that NQTs are required but an honor system is being used. Assumed a verification for that time would be expected to avoid super slow entries (the purpose of a NQT). So Jeff, just for clarification, if the coach captures a time for you that meets the NQT standards, does it have to be recorded anywhere? Or is this where the honor system comes into play? We have a tiny team in Memphis and are looking for opportunities for some of our folks to go to Nationals and do more than three events if they can. Thanks in advance.