Instead of DQing for a False Start

There is nothing more challenging for an official than having to DQ a swimmer for a false start: either a dual confirmation done after the heat has been started or for the lone swimmer who goes in all by themselves. It is a shame that starting early and only gaining, at most, .5 seconds results in the entire race being nullified. I would hate to be the 400 IMer or the 1650 swimmer if that were to happen. So, instead of nullifying the entire swim, consider a time penalty assessed for a False Start. In either situation that I mentioned in the first paragraph, the swimmer incurs a 5 seconds penalty when the False Start is dual confirmed. The swimmer gets the benefit of the race, albeit with a time penalty. This could be managed quite easier with a software change in Meet Manager or whatever meet software is being used. Paul
Parents
  • Michael - Not sure why you think this is so subjective, it only says that officials cannot DQ a legal swim for rules broken after it has finished. Although this may be attractive to some officials trying to deal with a real jerk, it seems to be pretty objective to me. Rule 102.13.14 reads: "A swimmer who misrepresents a seed time, causing a significant delay of the meet, may be disqualified at the discretion of the referee. The disqualified swimmer shall be removed from the lane as soon as practical." If you this rule is objective and can be consistently applied, please define "misrepresents", "significant", "may", "discretion", or "practical" for me??? Each of these can only be determined through the eyes of the referee and I know at least two who will not invoke this rule under any circumstances because it is so vague. You are missing the simplicity of this change. The rules do not change. The only change is some infractions that used to result in a "DQ" now have a time penalty and the time does not change from infraction to infraction. It would always be whatever could be agreed to - I like 5 seconds. Some of your examples - "Turning in the middle of the lane, running starts" - cannot take place now. If someone tried, they would still be "DQs" like they are now. The penalty would be written into the meet management software. Try some other reasons why not to - I am enjoying this. :) Paul
  • Michael - Not sure why you think this is so subjective, it only says that officials cannot DQ a legal swim for rules broken after it has finished. Although this may be attractive to some officials trying to deal with a real jerk, it seems to be pretty objective to me. Rule 102.13.14 reads: "A swimmer who misrepresents a seed time, causing a significant delay of the meet, may be disqualified at the discretion of the referee. The disqualified swimmer shall be removed from the lane as soon as practical." If you this rule is objective and can be consistently applied, please define "misrepresents", "significant", "may", "discretion", or "practical" for me??? Each of these can only be determined through the eyes of the referee and I know at least two who will not invoke this rule under any circumstances because it is so vague. You are missing the simplicity of this change. The rules do not change. The only change is some infractions that used to result in a "DQ" now have a time penalty and the time does not change from infraction to infraction. It would always be whatever could be agreed to - I like 5 seconds. Some of your examples - "Turning in the middle of the lane, running starts" - cannot take place now. If someone tried, they would still be "DQs" like they are now. The penalty would be written into the meet management software. Try some other reasons why not to - I am enjoying this. :) Paul
Children
No Data