Instead of DQing for a False Start

There is nothing more challenging for an official than having to DQ a swimmer for a false start: either a dual confirmation done after the heat has been started or for the lone swimmer who goes in all by themselves. It is a shame that starting early and only gaining, at most, .5 seconds results in the entire race being nullified. I would hate to be the 400 IMer or the 1650 swimmer if that were to happen. So, instead of nullifying the entire swim, consider a time penalty assessed for a False Start. In either situation that I mentioned in the first paragraph, the swimmer incurs a 5 seconds penalty when the False Start is dual confirmed. The swimmer gets the benefit of the race, albeit with a time penalty. This could be managed quite easier with a software change in Meet Manager or whatever meet software is being used. Paul
Parents
  • Knelson - Just to play devil's advocate on a different playing field. If a DQ is a DQ and negates the swim, would you agree that taking your car taken away for your first speeding ticket is fair? Same idea to me. I am not saying there should not be a penalty for doing something wrong, I am just saying the current penalty (complete negation of the swim) did NOT fit the "crime." Especially if the "crime" does not result in a better time or a better place in the race. Paul Paul, I don't share this analogy. Are you suggesting it's ok to give a "penalty" time addition for a false start instead of negating the whole swim; but ok to DQ (negate the whole swim) if you should do a one handed turn in fly or ***, or take two dolphins in a *** pullout, etc.? Are you suggesting a time penalty for one infraction but not others? I guess my question is where do you draw the line? If you swam a 400 LCM IM and took a weak second dolphin kick on one *** pullout the whole swim is negated (assuming you get caught!), and that is ok with you but the false start is not? I'm not seeing the difference. Fun discussion! Jeff
  • Knelson - Just to play devil's advocate on a different playing field. If a DQ is a DQ and negates the swim, would you agree that taking your car taken away for your first speeding ticket is fair? Same idea to me. I am not saying there should not be a penalty for doing something wrong, I am just saying the current penalty (complete negation of the swim) did NOT fit the "crime." Especially if the "crime" does not result in a better time or a better place in the race. Paul Paul, I don't share this analogy. Are you suggesting it's ok to give a "penalty" time addition for a false start instead of negating the whole swim; but ok to DQ (negate the whole swim) if you should do a one handed turn in fly or ***, or take two dolphins in a *** pullout, etc.? Are you suggesting a time penalty for one infraction but not others? I guess my question is where do you draw the line? If you swam a 400 LCM IM and took a weak second dolphin kick on one *** pullout the whole swim is negated (assuming you get caught!), and that is ok with you but the false start is not? I'm not seeing the difference. Fun discussion! Jeff
Children
No Data