Instead of DQing for a False Start

There is nothing more challenging for an official than having to DQ a swimmer for a false start: either a dual confirmation done after the heat has been started or for the lone swimmer who goes in all by themselves. It is a shame that starting early and only gaining, at most, .5 seconds results in the entire race being nullified. I would hate to be the 400 IMer or the 1650 swimmer if that were to happen. So, instead of nullifying the entire swim, consider a time penalty assessed for a False Start. In either situation that I mentioned in the first paragraph, the swimmer incurs a 5 seconds penalty when the False Start is dual confirmed. The swimmer gets the benefit of the race, albeit with a time penalty. This could be managed quite easier with a software change in Meet Manager or whatever meet software is being used. Paul
Parents
  • Happy New year Everyone! My thoughts regarding the latest posts: Redbird Alum - thanks for the post. Think of this in the same way triathletes are penalized for drafting or in open water swims or in golf or hockey or basketball. What if a player was ejected for a single foul or a golfer was removed from a 4 day tournament if their ball goes out of bounds. Yes, the rule would become universal at all levels. Dan - thanks for the post and playing devil's advocate. There are two situations to consider and I did not differentiate the two. One is when a swimmer leaves the blocks before the start signal. In this case, the Starter/Deck Ref have the discretion to DQ or not. To my way of thinking, that swimmer would be given the option to compete with the 5 sec penalty or could withdraw from the race counting towards their event limit. Their decision should be announced to all swimmers in the heat just like is done if a swimmer is going for a fast intermediate split in a race (a 50 time in a 1650). The second situation is when the start signal has been given and the swimmers are in the water. Under this situation, the swimmers do not know if there was a DQ and should not stop because they assume they'll be DQ'd. False starts must be confirmed by the deck officials and they might not agree. Thoughts? Paul
  • Happy New year Everyone! My thoughts regarding the latest posts: Redbird Alum - thanks for the post. Think of this in the same way triathletes are penalized for drafting or in open water swims or in golf or hockey or basketball. What if a player was ejected for a single foul or a golfer was removed from a 4 day tournament if their ball goes out of bounds. Yes, the rule would become universal at all levels. Dan - thanks for the post and playing devil's advocate. There are two situations to consider and I did not differentiate the two. One is when a swimmer leaves the blocks before the start signal. In this case, the Starter/Deck Ref have the discretion to DQ or not. To my way of thinking, that swimmer would be given the option to compete with the 5 sec penalty or could withdraw from the race counting towards their event limit. Their decision should be announced to all swimmers in the heat just like is done if a swimmer is going for a fast intermediate split in a race (a 50 time in a 1650). The second situation is when the start signal has been given and the swimmers are in the water. Under this situation, the swimmers do not know if there was a DQ and should not stop because they assume they'll be DQ'd. False starts must be confirmed by the deck officials and they might not agree. Thoughts? Paul
Children
No Data