Runner getting into second year swimming. Critical analysis?

Former Member
Former Member
30 now, I've mostly been rowing, running, and biking all my life. That changed quite a bit when I moved to South Korea from Canada, though(no place to row, crowded cities, and all). I luckily found a swimming pool in my neighborhood last July, and I have been swimming ever since, except for a few months in between. Although I found my instructor in the beginning quite knowledgeable, the intermediate class I am in at the moment has a different instructor that unfortunately isn't very... thrilled to teach at the venue lol. Mostly gives us drills to do and nothing much else. Yesterday, I got a discount ticket to a spa with a swimming pool and my friend and we filmed each other swimming, so, could anyone give me pointers on what to improve on and etc? It's a shame the weather was pretty chilly, making my friend pretty reluctant to film... so the angle isn't very good, plus it was dark out. I intend to do this again with a more cooperative friend soon haha. I uploaded the videos to Youtube so there wouldn't be any sketchy downloading work, so please check them out? Thank you! www.youtube.com/watch - Freestyle www.youtube.com/watch - Butterfly
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Re: upper body strength you don’t need much to execute a good freestyle, if you focus on the ‘arm plant and swing body around’ technique suggested in the video. Instead of using just your arms to pull you forward, you’ll use your core to help throw your body forward over your hand planted in the water. In contrast, focusing on the pull in freestyle requires a lot more physical strength to pull and push back water and is very tiring and inefficient, but that is just my opinion.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Re: upper body strength you don’t need much to execute a good freestyle, if you focus on the ‘arm plant and swing body around’ technique suggested in the video. Instead of using just your arms to pull you forward, you’ll use your core to help throw your body forward over your hand planted in the water. In contrast, focusing on the pull in freestyle requires a lot more physical strength to pull and push back water and is very tiring and inefficient, but that is just my opinion.
Children
No Data