What wetsuit gear for swimming in outdoor pool in TX

Former Member
Former Member
We have a 40 foot pool we built and I love swimming laps in the morning. Usually 100, and I do not kick off so I get sorta of a continuous swim. Anyway, I want to continue to swim throughout the winter. What wetsuit and gear is recommended? Temps normally stay around 40's. I was thinking full wetsuit with gloves and hoodie. I only do *** stroke if that makes any difference. I would appreciate any advice on apparrel. I would like to keep it low of course but iof course want to spend money on something that works. BTW: We have thought about getting the pool heated..that is down the road though. Thanks in advance Joe
  • Do you know if the chemicals in a pool will ruin a wetsuit? I found some great wetsuit, thetriathletehub.com/.../ however, I want to ensure that the pool won't ruin the wetsuit in the first year. I don't think normal pool chemicals are likely to affect a wetsuit unless you are wearing it a lot in the pool. I've seen a bunch of swimmers try them out in a pool before an OW swim without impact. I would contact the manufacturer and ask that question if you intend to wear it a lot in a pool. You can rinse it off in the shower afterwards too and should be good to go. I rinse mine off with the hose after lake and ocean swims to get sweat, sand etc. off the surface and then try to let my swimming wetsuit dry in the shade so it doesn't cook in the sun. A bigger issue is that most pools are 78F-82F (some even warmer), and you are likely to heat up pretty quickly in a pool in a wetsuit. Ever increasing heart rate and stress can be dangerous, if you aren't able to cool down.