What wetsuit gear for swimming in outdoor pool in TX

Former Member
Former Member
We have a 40 foot pool we built and I love swimming laps in the morning. Usually 100, and I do not kick off so I get sorta of a continuous swim. Anyway, I want to continue to swim throughout the winter. What wetsuit and gear is recommended? Temps normally stay around 40's. I was thinking full wetsuit with gloves and hoodie. I only do *** stroke if that makes any difference. I would appreciate any advice on apparrel. I would like to keep it low of course but iof course want to spend money on something that works. BTW: We have thought about getting the pool heated..that is down the road though. Thanks in advance Joe
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Stay away from SCUBA and Surf wetsuits - they don't allow adequate shoulder motion - I tried it. You'll probably be happier with a triathlete wetsuit. XTerra is a popular budget brand. They often have good sales on last year's model. I got one for about $120 in 2016. BTW wetsuits make you much faster so it may feel weird in the pool. One caution: cholorine is really bad for wetsuits so rinse well afterwards and expect a short life expectancy. Another option depending on your temperatures might be just a wetsuit vest Thanks. I am considering that or a shortie wetsuit. I do the breaststroke so the shoulder issue is not as much of a concern. BTW: I use Baquacil in the pool. No chlorine. Easier to maintain and no oder. A tad more expensive but better for the yes and skin.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Stay away from SCUBA and Surf wetsuits - they don't allow adequate shoulder motion - I tried it. You'll probably be happier with a triathlete wetsuit. XTerra is a popular budget brand. They often have good sales on last year's model. I got one for about $120 in 2016. BTW wetsuits make you much faster so it may feel weird in the pool. One caution: cholorine is really bad for wetsuits so rinse well afterwards and expect a short life expectancy. Another option depending on your temperatures might be just a wetsuit vest Thanks. I am considering that or a shortie wetsuit. I do the breaststroke so the shoulder issue is not as much of a concern. BTW: I use Baquacil in the pool. No chlorine. Easier to maintain and no oder. A tad more expensive but better for the yes and skin.
Children
No Data