Anterior shoulder pain

Former Member
Former Member
Hey guys, since quite a while I am a silent follower of the USMS community and I am very glad that such an international community does exist. I started swimming 2 years ago at the age of 23 and I found it to improve my quality of life massivly. Currently I am swimming 20 - 30 Km a week. I swim only freestyle. Since I started I suffered alot of shoulder issues (3 times I could not move my arm above 90 degrees for at least 6 weeks, 2 times left shoulder 1 time right shoulder). Regarding the actuall freestle swimming I was able to fix the mayor trouble maker in my stroke (thump first etc.) I know, that there are already alot of threads on shoulder issues, but I have not found one, where specifically the streamline postion, after the push of the wall, was discussed as the origin of pain. Interestingly the streamline position does not seem to bother my right shoulder at all. But I get pain in front of my left shoulder near or around the coracoid. The pain occours mostly after the swims and just sometimes while swimming. Does any of you guys have experienced something similiar?? greetings Bob
Parents
  • I fought through issues with my shoulder and lats, mainly until I got a good coach who straightened some things out for me. Once I got a great coach, I haven't had issues and am doing more yardage. If you don't already swim with a team or have a coach to look at your stroke, you should. S/he can help out a lot. And you mentioned that you only swim free, so I'd also suggest mixing in the other strokes, even if it's only a little, to balance out your muscles and the strain on your joints. you can do them as part of your warmup or cooldown, or even between some of the sets.
  • I fought through issues with my shoulder and lats, mainly until I got a good coach who straightened some things out for me. Once I got a great coach, I haven't had issues and am doing more yardage. If you don't already swim with a team or have a coach to look at your stroke, you should. S/he can help out a lot. And you mentioned that you only swim free, so I'd also suggest mixing in the other strokes, even if it's only a little, to balance out your muscles and the strain on your joints. you can do them as part of your warmup or cooldown, or even between some of the sets.
Children
No Data