Do swimmers need to eat a special diet?

Former Member
Former Member
I have a 17-year-old son who is a professional swimmer. I’m wondering, does he need to follow a particular diet or can he eat anything? In this photo from Michael Phelps’ Instagram it looks like his diet isn’t too restrictive.
Parents
  • 5K calories a day is not uncommon for a growing boy. Depending on yardage OMG HA HA HA HA 5000...i must still be growing then. 5k...at age 17? like kirk said...5k was a nice appetizer. my mvn mom - i stayed with a family durning my 5 years there - said that all the money i paid her went to groceries. she said she might have even lost money on feeding me. typical breakfast - 4 fried eggs, each with a slice of cheese on it, 4 pieces of toast with peanutbutter and honey, 8 pieces of bacon, 4 bowls of cereal with all the milk. go take a nap, wake up and eat an entire box of crispix cereal dry watching tv until lunch while snacking (in between mouthfuls of cereal) on anything that didnt move. 8-10k might have been a lot then...but that wasnt 1 of my workouts at mvn and we did 2 on mon,tues,thurs,fri,sat ... yes we had weds mornings off but we also had 2 on saturday!
  • 5K calories a day is not uncommon for a growing boy. Depending on yardage OMG HA HA HA HA 5000...i must still be growing then. 5k...at age 17? like kirk said...5k was a nice appetizer. my mvn mom - i stayed with a family durning my 5 years there - said that all the money i paid her went to groceries. she said she might have even lost money on feeding me. typical breakfast - 4 fried eggs, each with a slice of cheese on it, 4 pieces of toast with peanutbutter and honey, 8 pieces of bacon, 4 bowls of cereal with all the milk. go take a nap, wake up and eat an entire box of crispix cereal dry watching tv until lunch while snacking (in between mouthfuls of cereal) on anything that didnt move. 8-10k might have been a lot then...but that wasnt 1 of my workouts at mvn and we did 2 on mon,tues,thurs,fri,sat ... yes we had weds mornings off but we also had 2 on saturday!
Children
No Data