In the New York Times

Masters team article in the New York Times, by Nancy Stearns Bercaw www.nytimes.com/.../swimming-in-the-fast-lane.html
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    If a person was drawn to swimming at a young age because they were good at it, much more than because of a real enjoyment for the sport, then of course they aren't going to feel the urge to keep swimming when they won't feel good at it anymore. Likewise, a fundamentally very competitive person is going to find fulfillment from finding activities in which he or she feels like a strong competitor; if at some point they don't feel that way from swimming it's only natural for them to find another outlet for putting that competitive drive to work. We all have different motivations, we all operate in different contexts. I don't think there's anything sad about another person making different decisions than I did. The fact that some folks aren't not swimming anymore, or that someone else swims for reasons other than my own, doesn't take any enjoyment away from me. It's not sad. It's just normal life.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    If a person was drawn to swimming at a young age because they were good at it, much more than because of a real enjoyment for the sport, then of course they aren't going to feel the urge to keep swimming when they won't feel good at it anymore. Likewise, a fundamentally very competitive person is going to find fulfillment from finding activities in which he or she feels like a strong competitor; if at some point they don't feel that way from swimming it's only natural for them to find another outlet for putting that competitive drive to work. We all have different motivations, we all operate in different contexts. I don't think there's anything sad about another person making different decisions than I did. The fact that some folks aren't not swimming anymore, or that someone else swims for reasons other than my own, doesn't take any enjoyment away from me. It's not sad. It's just normal life.
Children
No Data