training for marathon open water swim

I am preparing for stage 1 of the 8 bridges swim in the Hudson River. It is 18.3 miles. I have been doing 4,000 yards 5 days a week, then, adding a long swim on the weekends. I plan on adding yardage to that long swim each week. My question is, what should be my yardage/mile goal for the last long swim before the race? Would it make sense to swim 2 a days? I live in Pittsburgh, Pa, so, open water swims is not an option until May...any suggestions for preparation would be welcome. Thank you. Judy
Parents
  • I cringe at the very thought of swimming in the Hudson. I grew up at a time when the river was an open sewer and one would not even go near the water's edge for the stink of it. And I was 150 miles upstream from NYC. It only got worse as you went south. It can still be a bit dicey in spots but everything below Tappan Zee gets washed by the tides.
  • I cringe at the very thought of swimming in the Hudson. I grew up at a time when the river was an open sewer and one would not even go near the water's edge for the stink of it. And I was 150 miles upstream from NYC. It only got worse as you went south. It can still be a bit dicey in spots but everything below Tappan Zee gets washed by the tides.
Children
No Data