Runny nose after swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Every time after a swim workout I get a runny nose, which seems to result from my nose and maybe my sinuses becoming dry. I've tried several things - using a nose clip while swimming, using a neti pot afterwards, and using an allergy relief spray with natural ingredients, but to no avail. For much of the rest of the day I'll be sniffling, having to blow my nose and it will be dripping. Some days are worse than others, but it can also interfere a little with my sleep. I really want to get into a regular routine of swim workouts, but this is getting in my way of being productive after I'm done swimming that day. Other than this, I have no problems breathing or anything like that. Any advice on how to treat or prevent this? Would taking a hot shower after I get home do the trick?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    And I've been thinking that I am the only one having this. that's the reason why I am so often online and I search for combivent coupon so I always have to get it at least a bit less expensive... anyway, thanks all for sharing.
  • I have been getting this relentlessly when using my snorkel. Still haven't quite mastered the breathe-out when flip-turning aspect of it apparently. Usually passes within 6-8 hours, but at this time of year it's a dice roll on whether it is the beginnings of a cold or not.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I may have to work on taking breathes in swimming. I had similar issue before. After I got a better method of breathing, all goes fine now.
  • I have been getting this relentlessly when using my snorkel. Still haven't quite mastered the breathe-out when flip-turning aspect of it apparently. You're using a snorkel without a nose clip??? Seems like everytime you inhale you'd get a flood into the nostrils. Dan
  • I don't wanna brag or anything... But I'm a pretty accomplished mouth-breather. Never had an issue getting water in my nose while swimming or kicking with the snorkel. Just those dang flip turns. Gotta remember to exhale a little bit while flipping over. Never really considered using a nose plug... Is that super common? I can't remember seeing any of the local club swimmers using them with their snorkels, but then again, they are pretty easy to miss if you aren't looking for them.
  • Every time after a swim workout I get a runny nose, which seems to result from my nose and maybe my sinuses becoming dry. I've tried several things - using a nose clip while swimming, using a neti pot afterwards, and using an allergy relief spray with natural ingredients, but to no avail. For much of the rest of the day I'll be sniffling, having to blow my nose and it will be dripping. Some days are worse than others, but it can also interfere a little with my sleep. I really want to get into a regular routine of swim workouts, but this is getting in my way of being productive after I'm done swimming that day. Other than this, I have no problems breathing or anything like that. Any advice on how to treat or prevent this? Would taking a hot shower after I get home do the trick? I was spending close to 2 hours in the pool daily without any issues, and then about a year ago I developed the same symptoms. (I think the aquatic facility where I swim changed chemicals.) I tried a nose clip, but couldn't get my lungs empty for each following breath. Then I learned that Vitamin C has an affinity for chlorine (or vice versa). I mix some sodium ascorbate (www.google.com/search in a nasal saline solution and irrigate my sinuses while in the shower after swimming. This has helped quite a bit. BTW, I also mix some with my shampoo, which helps remove that chlorine smell.
  • Mine seems to be the opposite. I am "stuffy-clogged" after swimming practice.
  • I swim at 2 different pools. on Tue, Thurs and weekends, I do solo lap swims at the gym. My nose gets runny during the swim and then I have sneezing fits within 1 hour I am out of the pool. But it doesn't bother me. On Mon, Wed, Fri, during the masters swim practice, I go to the local middle school pool. I don't remember my nose being runny at all.
  • Now have the runny nose and sneezing like I have an allergy. I've never had any allergy symptoms, ever until say the last 2-3 months. Sinuses are clogged at times and ears clogged too (not with water). I have found 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with water fixes the mucus problem.
  • Similar to the original post, I had clogged sinuses until I was about 30 when it went from bad to out of control. I was going through a box of Kleenex a day. Blowing my nose would cause me to sneeze - a vicious cycle. I tried everything and nothing worked until someone suggested the dreaded nose clips. I was desperate and started wearing them. The sinus irritation stopped almost immediately. And, ho and behold, my swimming got better because I had to focus on breathing in and out through my mouth. And, I did not have to deal with keeping water out of my nose during flip turns (freestyle and backstroke). Fast forward 34 years and I still wear them - all the time. Best invention ever that most swimmers think are used only by sissies! I use these nose clips. They do take 2-3 months to get used to and improving your exhaling, generally a weak part of swimmers breathing cycle, is crucial. Good Luck