Doping among masters athletes

Former Member
Former Member
At least this isn't a problem in USMS, right? velonews.competitor.com/.../totally-amateur_408457
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    In the absence of a position statement from USMS are we to assume that anything goes?
  • Former Member
    Given that USMS cares about the health and safety of its members, the use of performance enhancing drugs and supplements as defined by WADA, unless prescribed by a licensed physician for the treatment of a medical condition, is strictly prohibited. I would suggest the word strictly is removed. But shouldn't it more truthfully read "is discouraged" rather than "is strictly prohibited"... given there's no resolve to pursue any violation anyways?
  • Former Member
    So we prohibit full body tech suits but discourage performance enhancing drugs?
  • Given that USMS cares about the health and safety of its members and is committed to preserving the integrity of the sport of swimming, the use of performance enhancing drugs and supplements as defined by WADA, unless prescribed by a licensed physician, is strictly prohibited. Violations may result in permanent suspension from future competition. Sounds good to me,but as a position statement only, it is like posting speed limits but not ticketing speeders. Given the level of concern about testing, a position statement(without testing) is a good start.
  • In the absence of a position statement from USMS are we to assume that anything goes? Wouldn't doping constitute unsporting conduct under the rules?
  • Former Member
    In the absence of a position statement from USMS are we to assume that anything goes? Position stated or otherwise, if no action actually takes place after discovery, then that assumption would be true. I was merely pointing out that, to add "strictly prohibited" in the proposed statement will not mean much if its not really prohibited at all. Hence why I suggested discouraged
  • Former Member
    Given that USMS cares about the health and safety of its members and is committed to preserving the integrity of the sport of swimming, the use of performance enhancing drugs and supplements as defined by WADA, unless prescribed by a licensed physician, is strictly prohibited. Violations may result in permanent suspension from future competition.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Gripping, excellent article--and, very sad. The saddest story was Rick Demont, in the 1972 Olympics that won the 400 meter freestyle but lost the medal because he was using an ashama medicine. He also couldn't swim the 1500 freestyle.