Doping among masters athletes

Former Member
Former Member
At least this isn't a problem in USMS, right? velonews.competitor.com/.../totally-amateur_408457
Parents
  • Solvay Pharmaceuticals created the term "Low T" to sell AndroGel. And it worked. From this report, I'd guess the molecule is more likely to make men (we're not talking about East German women here) look good more than swim fast ... www.realclearscience.com/.../have_low_t_taking_testosterone_probably_wont_help_109759.html The authors evaluated 156 randomized controlled trials in which testosterone was compared to placebo to treat a variety of conditions. Testosterone did not consistently prevent or treat cardiovascular disease, nor did it consistently improve sexual function or satisfaction, with half of the studies showing positive effects and the other half not showing any effects. It was altogether ineffective at treating erectile dysfunction. The majority of studies showed no effects on psychological well-being or cognitive function.Testosterone did offer a few benefits. The review indicated a small boost to libido and a robust increase in muscle mass. However, the increase in mass was not accompanied by increases to strength. On the whole, when you add in the health risks, it seems it's been over-sold, at least to men. To repeat Gull's comment: "If your health is important to you, then you will not be using a banned substance without a doctor's prescription." And, I'd add: "... and, even if you can talk a doctor into prescribing some of these substances - which isn't very hard to do if you go doctor-shopping - you probably shouldn't..."
  • Solvay Pharmaceuticals created the term "Low T" to sell AndroGel. And it worked. From this report, I'd guess the molecule is more likely to make men (we're not talking about East German women here) look good more than swim fast ... www.realclearscience.com/.../have_low_t_taking_testosterone_probably_wont_help_109759.html The authors evaluated 156 randomized controlled trials in which testosterone was compared to placebo to treat a variety of conditions. Testosterone did not consistently prevent or treat cardiovascular disease, nor did it consistently improve sexual function or satisfaction, with half of the studies showing positive effects and the other half not showing any effects. It was altogether ineffective at treating erectile dysfunction. The majority of studies showed no effects on psychological well-being or cognitive function.Testosterone did offer a few benefits. The review indicated a small boost to libido and a robust increase in muscle mass. However, the increase in mass was not accompanied by increases to strength. On the whole, when you add in the health risks, it seems it's been over-sold, at least to men. To repeat Gull's comment: "If your health is important to you, then you will not be using a banned substance without a doctor's prescription." And, I'd add: "... and, even if you can talk a doctor into prescribing some of these substances - which isn't very hard to do if you go doctor-shopping - you probably shouldn't..."
Children
No Data