Doping among masters athletes

Former Member
Former Member
At least this isn't a problem in USMS, right? velonews.competitor.com/.../totally-amateur_408457
Parents
  • Here is a link to the USADA Athlete Guide to the 2016 Prohibited List so that members can check their medications/supplements and not be labeled as "dopers" in this forum. www.usada.org/.../ Some things I found interesting were: Insulin is prohibited in and out of competition (TUE needed) Anything with pseudoephedrine is prohibited during competition (no more Advil Cold and Sinus) Albuterol and other asthma treatments are allowed at certain use levels; but Any level of albuterol or pseudoephedrine is prohibited at all times if the person also takes a diuretic Any level of cannabinoids are prohibited in competition (no TUE allowed) Narcotics are prohibited in competition (check if you are being treated for chronic pain) Glucocorticoids are prohibited in competition Some Parkinson's medications are prohibited during competition Many commercially available supplements and diuretics contain prohibited substances ("Some dietary supplements that claim to be “natural” water pills may contain prescription diuretics not listed on the label" check with www.Supplement411.org ) The USADA website also warns athletes to consult with their doctors and advise them that they are an athlete before any surgery so that a TUE can be obtained or an alternative treatment can be proposed, if a substance would be used that would violate the WADA rules. www.usada.org/.../ It does appear that WADA/USADA has decided that there may be a difference between the scrutiny that should be given to Masters vs. other athletes. Apparently, as a result of an arbitration filed by a Masters athlete (who received three denials for a TUE for the use of testosterone), USADA has created a “Recreational Competitor TUE”, which apparently has a lower threshold for granting TUEs to Masters athletes. www.wsj.com/.../prescription-steroids-get-a-quiet-exemption-1461365753 I don’t know if this is USADA’s way of saying “it’s just Masters” or if the TUE process is not really prepared for 50,000 USMS swimmers to start reviewing their medications and applying for TUEs and arbitrating their denials. Many of the issues/positions expressed in this thread apparently have been discussed in other Masters sports. www.washingtonpost.com/.../AR2010062103639.html An interesting point in the WP article is the statement by the Chairman of the USATA Masters Division that he was taking a prohibited medication for his blood pressure and did not know it was prohibited when he competed in the world masters championships in Riccione, Italy. I assume he was not taking it for a competitive advantage, but instead for health reasons. I liked his quote that if we would have been tested, he would be embarrassed to finish 20th while taking (performance enhancing) drugs. Regarding the proposed USMS position statement, I wonder if its adoption or even enforcement would placate the people who are most concerned with it? Clearly what they/we want is a level playing field where athletic performance is not enhanced by drugs taken for the purpose of a competitive advantage. I presume that, with the possible exception of cannabinoids, (at least in most states) and over the counter cold medications, the performance enhancing drugs taken by Masters athletes are prescription drugs taken pursuant to the instruction of doctors for a stated medical conditions. Gull has already stated earlier in this thread that “Low-T” is not an actual medical condition so I assume the “unless prescribed by a licensed physician for the treatment of a medical condition, is strictly prohibited” would then need to be limited to medical conditions approved by USMS. If these athletes were to take testosterone prescribed by Dr. Teeple (who apparently does not agree with Gull that Low-T is not an actual medical condition) who sells his book “I’m Still Sexy, So What’s Up With Him? Learn How Testosterone Can Change Your Relationship” on his website www.teeplestestosterone.com and states that he was instrumental in the creation of the Recreational Competitor TUE, I assume that even with the granting of a RCTUE, there would still be the complaint that those competitors were “dopers.” I have to admit that I do view in a different light, the athletes that were shown by the Fancy Bear hack to have TUEs to use amphetamines in competition. What I don’t see, is the condemnation of them in this forum, that has been lavished on others (Sun Yang, Efimova, etc.) I understand that their drug use is authorized, but I can’t imagine that it does not give them a competitive advantage. I do not take PEDs - actually I do not regularly take any medication. I attribute this, at least in part, to my return to swimming 17 years ago. I do confess that I have taken Advil Cold and Sinus before a meet or two when I was congested from allergies or a cold (I did not know it was banned until I started researching the WADA list because of this thread). Now that I know that is not proper, I will not do it again; however, I guess under the proposed position statement my conduct was prohibited and I am a “doper.” Hopefully this post will point everyone to the WADA website so that you can avoid being a “doper” like me.
  • Here is a link to the USADA Athlete Guide to the 2016 Prohibited List so that members can check their medications/supplements and not be labeled as "dopers" in this forum. www.usada.org/.../ Some things I found interesting were: Insulin is prohibited in and out of competition (TUE needed) Anything with pseudoephedrine is prohibited during competition (no more Advil Cold and Sinus) Albuterol and other asthma treatments are allowed at certain use levels; but Any level of albuterol or pseudoephedrine is prohibited at all times if the person also takes a diuretic Any level of cannabinoids are prohibited in competition (no TUE allowed) Narcotics are prohibited in competition (check if you are being treated for chronic pain) Glucocorticoids are prohibited in competition Some Parkinson's medications are prohibited during competition Many commercially available supplements and diuretics contain prohibited substances ("Some dietary supplements that claim to be “natural” water pills may contain prescription diuretics not listed on the label" check with www.Supplement411.org ) The USADA website also warns athletes to consult with their doctors and advise them that they are an athlete before any surgery so that a TUE can be obtained or an alternative treatment can be proposed, if a substance would be used that would violate the WADA rules. www.usada.org/.../ It does appear that WADA/USADA has decided that there may be a difference between the scrutiny that should be given to Masters vs. other athletes. Apparently, as a result of an arbitration filed by a Masters athlete (who received three denials for a TUE for the use of testosterone), USADA has created a “Recreational Competitor TUE”, which apparently has a lower threshold for granting TUEs to Masters athletes. www.wsj.com/.../prescription-steroids-get-a-quiet-exemption-1461365753 I don’t know if this is USADA’s way of saying “it’s just Masters” or if the TUE process is not really prepared for 50,000 USMS swimmers to start reviewing their medications and applying for TUEs and arbitrating their denials. Many of the issues/positions expressed in this thread apparently have been discussed in other Masters sports. www.washingtonpost.com/.../AR2010062103639.html An interesting point in the WP article is the statement by the Chairman of the USATA Masters Division that he was taking a prohibited medication for his blood pressure and did not know it was prohibited when he competed in the world masters championships in Riccione, Italy. I assume he was not taking it for a competitive advantage, but instead for health reasons. I liked his quote that if we would have been tested, he would be embarrassed to finish 20th while taking (performance enhancing) drugs. Regarding the proposed USMS position statement, I wonder if its adoption or even enforcement would placate the people who are most concerned with it? Clearly what they/we want is a level playing field where athletic performance is not enhanced by drugs taken for the purpose of a competitive advantage. I presume that, with the possible exception of cannabinoids, (at least in most states) and over the counter cold medications, the performance enhancing drugs taken by Masters athletes are prescription drugs taken pursuant to the instruction of doctors for a stated medical conditions. Gull has already stated earlier in this thread that “Low-T” is not an actual medical condition so I assume the “unless prescribed by a licensed physician for the treatment of a medical condition, is strictly prohibited” would then need to be limited to medical conditions approved by USMS. If these athletes were to take testosterone prescribed by Dr. Teeple (who apparently does not agree with Gull that Low-T is not an actual medical condition) who sells his book “I’m Still Sexy, So What’s Up With Him? Learn How Testosterone Can Change Your Relationship” on his website www.teeplestestosterone.com and states that he was instrumental in the creation of the Recreational Competitor TUE, I assume that even with the granting of a RCTUE, there would still be the complaint that those competitors were “dopers.” I have to admit that I do view in a different light, the athletes that were shown by the Fancy Bear hack to have TUEs to use amphetamines in competition. What I don’t see, is the condemnation of them in this forum, that has been lavished on others (Sun Yang, Efimova, etc.) I understand that their drug use is authorized, but I can’t imagine that it does not give them a competitive advantage. I do not take PEDs - actually I do not regularly take any medication. I attribute this, at least in part, to my return to swimming 17 years ago. I do confess that I have taken Advil Cold and Sinus before a meet or two when I was congested from allergies or a cold (I did not know it was banned until I started researching the WADA list because of this thread). Now that I know that is not proper, I will not do it again; however, I guess under the proposed position statement my conduct was prohibited and I am a “doper.” Hopefully this post will point everyone to the WADA website so that you can avoid being a “doper” like me.
Children
No Data