Weight and swimming.

Former Member
Former Member
Can anyone learn how to swim? Does weight of the person make a difference?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Severely might be a strong word, but I was heavy coming in at 260 at the time. Yeah, sorry, the word severely is maybe a bit strong but you did have quite a belly compared to the shredded swimmers next to you. That's what made the video so impressive because I bet everybody would have thought that one of the shredded swimmers would come in first and you proved how important a good technique is.
  • Former Member
    Keep doing the swimming that you are do, add more dryland stuff if you haven't already. Therein is certainly the challenge. The weight has come down since i started again this past december (280 then). The good thing is that I've been more excited about swimming in the last few months than I have been since before college. Hopefully that will stay and it won't feel like work anytime soon. :)
  • Former Member
    I remember a former college swimmer on here who posted a 50 m sprint video. He just had started swimming again, was around 30 and was severely overweight. His competition at the race were all young and ripped college kids. He still came in first and was pretty fast in general. He was fast from being a good swimmer. His weight didn't change the fact.
  • Former Member
    I remember a former college swimmer on here who posted a 50 m sprint video. He just had started swimming again, was around 30 and was severely overweight. His competition at the race were all young and ripped college kids. He still came in first and was pretty fast in general. He was fast from being a good swimmer. His weight didn't change the fact. Severely might be a strong word, but I was heavy coming in at 260 at the time.
  • During my career in the Navy, I was usually my department or command fitness test coordinator. In the Navy (during that time) in addition to sit-ups and push-ups you had the choice of doing either a 1.5 mile run for time or the 500 yard (or 450 meter) swim for time. One test cycle, a couple of young gym rats in my department decided to try the swim for the upcoming fitness test. They were in good shape but they'd usually done the run and always passed with no problem whatsoever. They said they knew how to swim. I told them that swimming laps, for the test, is a lot different than just splashing around in the pool. They figured they were in good enough shape that they could "muscle their way through 500 yards." Well, they failed miserably. Their trace amounts of body fat made them much less buoyant and required considerable "muscle" to keep them from sinking. They didn't have the technique to swim efficiently. They were quite embarrassed when they got assigned to remedial fitness until I had the opportunity to retest them...doing the run instead. Dan
  • Former Member
    Yeah, sorry, the word severely is maybe a bit strong but you did have quite a belly compared to the shredded swimmers next to you. That's what made the video so impressive because I bet everybody would have thought that one of the shredded swimmers would come in first and you proved how important a good technique is. Its funny, I haven't really been on here more than once a month or so, and I came on to happen to see a post about me within an hour. haha.
  • Very true! Every sport has it's required muscle use. Take a big burly HS football player in the pool and almost any girl on the swim team can run them into the gutter