Weight and swimming.

Former Member
Former Member
Can anyone learn how to swim? Does weight of the person make a difference?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I've always been a big guy, been swimming since I was 6, quit competitive swimming at 18 with university around the corner. Even at 6'3 and 280 pounds now, I swim just fine. Would I be a better swimmer if I lost more weight? Obviously, so that's what I'm doing and on the right track again. I am more easily out of breath and my speed has definitely suffered as opposed to when I was younger, but my technique is still good and while I am definitely overweight, I'm more on the athletic side of being overweight (if there's a good side to it at all). Short: get in the pool, don't fret over your weight. There's only 1 way to work on it and that is to start working out.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I've always been a big guy, been swimming since I was 6, quit competitive swimming at 18 with university around the corner. Even at 6'3 and 280 pounds now, I swim just fine. Would I be a better swimmer if I lost more weight? Obviously, so that's what I'm doing and on the right track again. I am more easily out of breath and my speed has definitely suffered as opposed to when I was younger, but my technique is still good and while I am definitely overweight, I'm more on the athletic side of being overweight (if there's a good side to it at all). Short: get in the pool, don't fret over your weight. There's only 1 way to work on it and that is to start working out.
Children
No Data