Swim Student Sinks Like a Rock!

Gerald, 58, came to me and practically begged me to teach him how to swim. He is new in our community and had been watching me swim while he lifted weights in the gym. Although Gerald used to fool around in the water with his identical twin brother when they were kids, he had only swum underwater and never learned any of the strokes. Well, Gerald recently heard from his brother that he learned how to swim. To rub salt in the wound further, Gerald's brother bragged about swimming at hotel pools when they travel. :blah: Needless to say, Gerald is highly motivated to catch up to his brother, especially before bro comes to visit Gerald and his wife here in the community. Although I have taught two people how to swim, I am not a certified instructor, but I have been using the USMS Swimming Saves Lives Foundation Adult-Learn-To-Swim Volunteer Teacher Swim Lesson Guide. We started just three weeks ago, and here is a video from today's 7th lesson: www.youtube.com/watch (Although he has also added breathing, this video shows his stroke better.) As you can see, when he is kicking and moving forward, he is able to stay on the surface. The thing is, he can't float! This former football player is solid muscle, and he sinks like a rock! Seriously. Air in the lungs? Check. Chin and belly up? Check. Shoulders and lungs pressed back? Check. Relaxed? Check. He is very comfortable underwater, so he doesn't mind going under, but he won't rise to the surface once he's down! On a push off the wall and a "Superman" glide, he looks great-- until he comes to a complete stop on the BOTTOM of the pool (which is 5 feet deep). He'll just lay there until he runs out of breath. When he does stand up, we both just laugh! This guy is DEDICATED and wants swimming to become his main fitness focus. He has practiced every single day since our first lesson in late May, and he is determined. Between his dedication, determination, size 15 feet, and long fingers; I think he'll be a really good swimmer. In fact, I told him if he keeps up the good work, I'll bring him with me to compete at the Georgia Senior Olympics, in September! :cheerleader: Any ideas on how I can get Gerald to float without supporting him? :help: He even sinks with my pull buoy! :bouncing:
Parents
  • Elaine, that's terrific and it sounds like he has made a lot of progress. Take a look at Gerald's kick. He has big feet that are acting like brakes because he is not pointing his toes and feet. Also he needs to kick from his hip. I find this is an issue with many of the young kids I work with. Swimmers need to point there toes like ballerinas. Also most peopl seem to have a natural inclination to kick from the knee. I would have him working on a board pointing his toes and kicking from the hip. They don't need to be big kicks but rather shorter kicking from the hip. I hope this helps. Thanks, Stewart! Actually, I have been preaching "Kick from the hip!" since the beginning. When he holds on to the wall and kicks, he kicks from the hip beautifully-- if you don't look at his feet. When he swims, he is thinking about too much at the same time, and his kick goes out the window. I have been encouraging him to think of just one thing at a time, and to stay relaxed. As for his toes, those are his pointed toes! I checked his flexibility on land before we ever got in the pool, and this guy is as stiff as a board. He couldn't make a foot circle if a gun was put to his head! Needless to say, I have encouraged him to make dynamic stretching an important part of his pre-swim routine, and static stretching his post-swim routine. In addition, I encouraged him to do foot circles when he watches TV at night. His upper body is very inflexible, too. He can't get into a streamline position at all. His elbows bend, and his arms stay out far from his ears. That's on land, too! He watches me doing yoga, and you can practically see tears in his eyes from the pain he imagines if he attempted the same thing. :afraid:
  • Elaine, that's terrific and it sounds like he has made a lot of progress. Take a look at Gerald's kick. He has big feet that are acting like brakes because he is not pointing his toes and feet. Also he needs to kick from his hip. I find this is an issue with many of the young kids I work with. Swimmers need to point there toes like ballerinas. Also most peopl seem to have a natural inclination to kick from the knee. I would have him working on a board pointing his toes and kicking from the hip. They don't need to be big kicks but rather shorter kicking from the hip. I hope this helps. Thanks, Stewart! Actually, I have been preaching "Kick from the hip!" since the beginning. When he holds on to the wall and kicks, he kicks from the hip beautifully-- if you don't look at his feet. When he swims, he is thinking about too much at the same time, and his kick goes out the window. I have been encouraging him to think of just one thing at a time, and to stay relaxed. As for his toes, those are his pointed toes! I checked his flexibility on land before we ever got in the pool, and this guy is as stiff as a board. He couldn't make a foot circle if a gun was put to his head! Needless to say, I have encouraged him to make dynamic stretching an important part of his pre-swim routine, and static stretching his post-swim routine. In addition, I encouraged him to do foot circles when he watches TV at night. His upper body is very inflexible, too. He can't get into a streamline position at all. His elbows bend, and his arms stay out far from his ears. That's on land, too! He watches me doing yoga, and you can practically see tears in his eyes from the pain he imagines if he attempted the same thing. :afraid:
Children
No Data