Going to USA Masters Games?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm crazy for signing up to participate in the USA Masters Games in Greensboro this summer. Anyone else going? Which events? How competitive are you? I have mostly signed up because open water swims are hard to come by in areas that I can get to and from pretty easily just the day of. I have done a few open water swim competitions over the years, but I'm not particularly competitive (read: I'm not very fast). I'm wondering if I've set myself up for a situation where I'm not just last, I'm way behind. Don't get me wrong, I'm basically at this for my health and fitness and because I genuinely enjoy swimming (especially open water) so I don't mind being at the back of the pack, but I'm curious about where I'm likely to fall as I prep. I'm looking forward to getting to watch some of the pool events as well. I have never gotten up the guts to sign up for a pool meet - I do not have a local Masters group to swim with so I don't have a group to go with or the training in starts and turns and all that stuff that would make me feel comfortable competing in the pool, but maybe this will get me going. I'm interested in hearing from other who have signed up or are considering signing up. Thank you!
  • Good luck to you, Jennifer! I"ll bet you do much better than you think you will. :)
  • ... I wanted to go to scy Nats at Greensboro but being a teacher none of the USMS Nationals ever sync up with my time off. I'll just have to wait till I retire to do those.Me too, but LCM works out sometimes.
  • Thanks, I found it! I signed up! I wanted to go to scy Nats at Greensboro but being a teacher none of the USMS Nationals ever sync up with my time off. I'll just have to wait till I retire to do those.
  • The swimming deadline (and some other sports) has been extended until July 10. I'm pretty busy, but thinking about a one day trip to swim 400 IM and 100 ***.
  • Really? High water temp? Wow, I can't imagine that. Heck, one of the pools I train at was at 90 this weekend.
  • Unfortunately the open water swim was canceled due to the high water temp. Fortunately the hotel I had my reservation at let me cancel, but I was already in Greensboro by that point. I'm local enough that it wasn't too bad, but still a bummer. I did get to watch some of the last day of the pool events and I got to swim some laps in the pool. I'm curious what people who went and competed in the pool thought about things. I wish now that I'd signed up to do some pool stuff in addition to the open water, but I've never actually competed in a pool meet and wasn't sure I wanted this to be my first go at it. From what I saw though things were friendly and relaxed and it might have been a good time for a pool meet debut.
  • Follow up on the masters games... great fun, fast pool, well organized. TONS of social events (opening ceremonies, bands every night, athlete's village with games, bar, snacks). Meet was somewhat sparsely attended but I really hope it catches on with the masters swim community. I give it a 2 thumbs up.:applaud:
  • Follow up on the masters games... great fun, fast pool, well organized. TONS of social events (opening ceremonies, bands every night, athlete's village with games, bar, snacks). Meet was somewhat sparsely attended but I really hope it catches on with the masters swim community. I give it a 2 thumbs up.:applaud: I totally agree with you Evan! The games were well organized, good pool, and plenty of social activities available to athletes. The medals were very nice too! I'd like to do this competition again!