Calf cramps

Former Member
Former Member
Does anyone have a fix for terrible calf cramps when I swim long distance. And toes cramp also. And it's not because I don't hydrate. I do and drink protein and potassium supplements. Someone just suggested COQ10. Any thoughts? :agree:
  • I got some toe cramps today around 1700 yds on the way to 2000. I used a little extra flex on the next couple wall pushoffs to alleviate it. I ran a couple miles before the swim so my feet had a double workout. I have always been prone to calf cramps from running when I go farther than normal for a week or two. Then again, I also get calf cramps when I am de-training, that is, when I had been in heavy training and then back off for a couple weeks after my goal event. I take twice daily calcium supplements to keep them at bay.
  • Does anyone have a fix for terrible calf cramps when I swim long distance. And toes cramp also. If performance isn't an issue (you're not in a race), I find switching to breaststroke for a couple strokes often helps. It stretches out the muscles which tend to cramp.
  • Take a sip of pickle juice,It really does work.
  • Does anyone have a fix for terrible calf cramps when I swim long distance. And toes cramp also. And it's not because I don't hydrate. I do and drink protein and potassium supplements. Someone just suggested COQ10. Any thoughts? :agree: Pickle juice. I kid you not and I have no idea why it works. Many of my open water friends bring a jar of pickle juice with them and give it to their kayaker. When a cramp pops up, two or three swigs of the juice fixes them right up. If you don't have a kayaker or a way to bring pickle juice with you on your swims, you can try taking a few swigs right before you start.
  • Magnesium oil can be applied before swimming as needed in specific areas or overall according to preference. I like pickle juice too, but I watch the sodium levels, as the brands can vary a lot.
  • I offered pickle juice advice on a running club forum recently and was laughed at. Let 'em laugh, it works. It's not a new remedy either. A friend who ran on the HS track team put me on to pickle juice back in 1965. We were working evenings and weekends at a fast food joint where they had pickles in gallon jars, so he took home enough of it for the whole team.
  • I've noticed heavy, stiff fin users tend to get more foot/leg cramps. You also may want to take a look at your daily foot wear. If you tend to wear high heels, or shoes with no arch support and you have a rigid foot this can cause soleus/gastroc issues I've noticed.
  • I get similar cramping and I've often wondered if it's a result of pointing your toes for so long rather than any hydration, nutritional, or O2 usage. When I remember to do it...I frequently flex my legs...hips, knees, and ankles and it seems to help in keeping those cramps from happening. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Magnesium has cut my cramps down by about 80%. You can get it just about anywhere you get Calcium. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  • I also suffer from frequent calf cramps. They usually occur while using long fins or without fins when pushing off the wall on my turns. I stretch and do Pilates but to no avail. I will consult my physician about taking magnesium. Better yet I will speak with my local pharmacist who has a great knowledge of organic chemistry. Magnesium (Mg) is an element and found in nature as an inorganic chemical generally in association with calcium and carbonate - it's a mineral and rock called "dolomite". If the rock crystals have minor or no quantities of Mg, (ie., largely calcium carbonate), the mineral is calcite and the rock is called "limestone". :) Hope the Mg helps, keep us posted on what your pharmacist says and how it works out. Longer fins have the same impact on my calves, but the impact generally lessens the more work I do with fins on.