What's wrong (or misleading) with this quote?

Quote in the local newspaper from the high school state champion in the 100 yard freestyle (conducted in a 25 yard pool): "On the third lap of my 100, I breathed twice in a row and I shouldn't have done that." Dan
  • If lap didn't mean 2 lengths why do we say we "lapped" another person when we are 2 above their total? The counter example is if a lap is 2 lengths then why does a "lap counter" record the number of lengths?
  • If lap didn't mean 2 lengths why do we say we "lapped" another person when we are 2 above their total? Because a lap is typically a noun and to lap or lapped is a verb. They are two different words with similar but different meanings. You can't lap someone without another person but you can swim a lap by yourself. The distance between the two people creates the course, not the course itself. If two people start at the same time it will probably take multiple times up and down the pool before a person is lapped. To compare, there's a bench or to bench. Similar words with similar but different meanings. He sat on a bench. Did you see what that guy benched? No, he did not pick up the bench, although he probably could have.
  • Come on! Not buying this explanation. :) I know! Right?! :) The English language can be pretty messed up. When my husband and I tried to explain to my kindergartener that knife begins with a k, he really thought we were pulling his leg.
  • :dedhorse: I claim victory! The original question was, "What's wrong (or misleading) with this quote?" The whole lap/lapped/length :worms: is neither wrong nor misleading. At best, it's confusing. A mere distraction. Of no consequence. What's wrong (or misleading) about the quote, is the belief you shouldn't breathe every stroke in 100 free. According to our own Water Rat, I asked this exact question to Nathan Adrian a few months ago. His response? He breathes every stroke in a 100 free but not at all in a 50 free. He's been pretty successful at that distance I'd say. :) And who is to argue with Water Rat, much less Nathan Adrian? :banana:
  • What's wrong (or misleading) about the quote, is the belief you shouldn't breathe every stroke in 100 free. According to our own Water Rat, And who is to argue with Water Rat, much less Nathan Adrian? :banana: Caeleb Dressel breathes every stroke in the 100, too, and he just broke Adrian's American Record!
  • Caeleb Dressel breathes every stroke in the 100, too, and he just broke Adrian's American Record! As noted!
  • Because a lap is typically a noun and to lap or lapped is a verb. They are two different words with similar but different meanings. Come on! Not buying this explanation. :)
  • Came upon this link/thread from 2009. Some of you same peeps commented back then on the same subject. forums.usms.org/showthread.php Dan