HS swim teams. Was it worth the time and effort?

Former Member
Former Member
My son is a 10th grader. He is the best swimmer on his team, he is struggling with continuing on. At times he likes it, other times he really dislikes it. Small school Div 3 in Michigan. He is not a phenom swimmer, could maybe swim in college which he does not want to do (which I understand, especially for a walkon or a partial scholarship, you need to really love the sport). Not likely he will be involved in any other sport in HS. He likes weight lifting so he will stay in shape via personal work outs lifting and some running. He has a life guard job (very part time) but will be around the water. He swam club from 3rd to 7th grade taking springs off. Took 8th grade off and then swam HS for 9th. He is a big kid. 6' 3" 215 pounds with size 16 flippers. Mostly a sprinter but can swim all strokes any distance. 23.39 50 SCY is his best time. No prep for this season, just weight lifiting and some running this past summer. No club swimming. Team and Coaches would miss him. Coaches are very understanding and are very flexible in dealing with swimmers as individuals. They really look at swimmers as individuals and customize their program to the type of team and swimmers they have. I am thinking he will not be back next year. I think he will regret it later. But in the end he must want to do it. Any thoughts on how you felt about HS swimming? any motivating tips?
Parents
  • I think you and your son could be on the cusp of greatness if just a few cards fall the right way. At 6-3 and 215 lbs and a dedicated weight lifter he screams potential. It seems to me with the right coaching and right environment he could be sub 22 in the 50 and have an entirely different attitude on swimming. Ideally maybe he and his best friend could evolve together to make this happen, but I appreciate your position as a parent. I tried to get my son to join a club along with a buddy, but the buddy bailed and there went the swimming. He did play 4 years HS football and his last two years they were state champs so all ended well. In my own situation my HS swimming couldn't have been more formative. In suburban Chicago during the season HS swimming rules. Matt Grevers, Conor Dwyer, and most recently Reed Malone being recent examples. My sophomore year a number of us went to Trials in Detroit and we had 3 swimmers as Trials finalists!!! I swam well enough to be All American eight times. Looking back it was all about the environment. It was very positive and our coach, Dave Robertson, was legendary. The stars came into alignment as they had in the past only in 1961 more so. Sports Illustrated did a piece on the team. I wish you and your son well, and hope the stars come into alignment for both of you. For me I'll continue with Masters Swimming and loving every minute of it. Swim fast, live slow.
  • I think you and your son could be on the cusp of greatness if just a few cards fall the right way. At 6-3 and 215 lbs and a dedicated weight lifter he screams potential. It seems to me with the right coaching and right environment he could be sub 22 in the 50 and have an entirely different attitude on swimming. Ideally maybe he and his best friend could evolve together to make this happen, but I appreciate your position as a parent. I tried to get my son to join a club along with a buddy, but the buddy bailed and there went the swimming. He did play 4 years HS football and his last two years they were state champs so all ended well. In my own situation my HS swimming couldn't have been more formative. In suburban Chicago during the season HS swimming rules. Matt Grevers, Conor Dwyer, and most recently Reed Malone being recent examples. My sophomore year a number of us went to Trials in Detroit and we had 3 swimmers as Trials finalists!!! I swam well enough to be All American eight times. Looking back it was all about the environment. It was very positive and our coach, Dave Robertson, was legendary. The stars came into alignment as they had in the past only in 1961 more so. Sports Illustrated did a piece on the team. I wish you and your son well, and hope the stars come into alignment for both of you. For me I'll continue with Masters Swimming and loving every minute of it. Swim fast, live slow.
Children
No Data