Cardiac Swimmers

Looking for cardiac athletes. I belong to a couple online groups of athletes who all have had some sort of heart surgery. Bypass, stent, pacemaker, valve replacement, or aneurysm. They are mostly runners, but many cycle, ski, climb mountains, play team sports, etc. We wrote a book about our experiences. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any swimmers who have come back to competition after heart surgery. www.amazon.com/.../1500159638 I had a mechanical aortic valve replacement 25 years ago and continued to do road and track races and shot put. I only recently got more serious about swimming and wonder whether there are any others.
Parents
  • Thanks Rich. I'm 68, got a mechanical valve 25 years ago, and ran hundreds of road and track races before and since. If you're on Facebook, you can locate many more of us at www.facebook.com/.../ or at the C.A. web page www.cardiacathletes.com/ My drivers license says I'm a donor, but with a mechanical valve, I've been told they will not recycle the heart. Too bad since It's stronger than 99% of the unaltered ones out there. I have never competed in a swim race but yesterday I went to a swim clinic by a triathlon coach and got my butt kicked. I'm signed up for 10 weeks of masters swim classes but doubt I'll ever reach top 10 in anything. I have no interest in short distances since I have no fast-twitch fibers to speak of. I timed myself for a mile (1775yd) a couple times and did about 47 minutes, so I'm aiming for 40 by summer. Thanks for the offer but I am actively involved in a volunteer group that supports heart transplants and those waiting for a heart at my hospital.
  • Thanks Rich. I'm 68, got a mechanical valve 25 years ago, and ran hundreds of road and track races before and since. If you're on Facebook, you can locate many more of us at www.facebook.com/.../ or at the C.A. web page www.cardiacathletes.com/ My drivers license says I'm a donor, but with a mechanical valve, I've been told they will not recycle the heart. Too bad since It's stronger than 99% of the unaltered ones out there. I have never competed in a swim race but yesterday I went to a swim clinic by a triathlon coach and got my butt kicked. I'm signed up for 10 weeks of masters swim classes but doubt I'll ever reach top 10 in anything. I have no interest in short distances since I have no fast-twitch fibers to speak of. I timed myself for a mile (1775yd) a couple times and did about 47 minutes, so I'm aiming for 40 by summer. Thanks for the offer but I am actively involved in a volunteer group that supports heart transplants and those waiting for a heart at my hospital.
Children
No Data