Hypoxic (breath control) sets for fitness swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I'm a guy in my early 30s and I swim laps mostly for fitness and to challenge myself, and to also build stamina so I can take surf lessons in a few months. I was wondering how good breath control sets are for improving your fitness and stamina in the water. I do sets where I breath once every 2-4-6-4-2 every 50 yards with up to 30 seconds rest between each rep, and it makes me feel challenged and gets my adrenaline going but it doesn't give me any bad effects afterwards (it just feels like an enjoyable hard swim but nothing excessive). I know some say breath control sets are bad, but I've also read that they are great for building stamina even if you play a different sport, and that they promote the production of hemoglobin and mitochondria. Assuming its a good (or at least not a bad) way to build stamina and challenge yourself, once I'm ready to step it up, what is the most strokes per breath I should max out at during workouts? Also, is it better to breathe once every x number of strokes, or to just breathe x numbers of times per length?
  • Here's a recent study: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/.../26741118 This is interesting,but refers to low volume hypoventilation en.wikipedia.org/.../Hypoventilation_training ,which I was not previously familiar with. Since this mimics high altitude training it might be good for events 200 and up,but since it lowers body O2, I'd not want to try it without close supervision.
  • If you like breath control sets it might be better to alternate side breathe to get those benefits. Breathe 3 or 5 for a limited number of reps and sets to help with swim technique and for racing. A limited number of sets in some practices seems to benefit my training. Although, I'm a firm believer in in breathe when you need to. I've surfed for 50 years now (I'm not all that good, but love it), up and down the east coast, under storm and normal conditions, and have never been underwater for more than about 5-10 seconds before popping up; it is usually less than 5 seconds even if I'm waiting for the wave to pass. (I understand that Big Wave toe-in surfing in Hawaii Jaws, Pipeline) or Cali (Mavericks) is completely another story - but I'm not doing that and doubt you will either, unless you spend a lot of time at it and become really good). I think the bigger breathing issue when surfing is the location of the next wave when you pop up i.e., is it going to crash on you when you surface to breathe. Also, when you come up to breathe, is there another surfer coming at you. Relaxing after a fall and waiting underwater to come back to the surface also seems important to me.
  • This is interesting,but refers to low volume hypoventilation I could only access the summary of the article. Could you summarize how this "low volume hypoventilation" was performed for us, Allen?
  • You're correct, but I'm talking about hypoventilation, not hyperventilation. Oops, looks like I need reading glasses for notebooks now Interesting abstract though, and I can see increased LP with breath control Back to the request above:I could only access the summaryo of the article. Could you summarize how this "low volume hypoventilation" was performed for us, Allen?
  • Instead of the typical swimming practice of deep breath,hold it for x strokes or slowly exhale for x strokes,you take a breath,exhale immediately and then continue for x strokes.
  • There is no fitness to be had from it. Breath control does nothing except train ability to control breathing, and even then it doesn't take long to reach your maximum
  • I disagree, Steve. There is evidence that hypoventilation training is effective. Just Google "hypoventilation training" and you'll see lots of information.
  • Debating the benefits of "hypoventilation training" is not the point here. The point is that the OP describes himself as a fitness swimmer. He is not a competitive athlete with years of training behind him. Engaging in these type of breath-holding activities -- whose benefits are, in fact, debatable to begin with as Steve mentioned -- should be limited to serious competitive swimmers and should be practiced under the direct supervision of a coach. Further, slavavov, if you are looking to challenge yourself and improve your swimming, breath-holding should not be your primary focus. You should be focusing on developing your stroke technique, efficiency and speed in the water. Practicing breath-holding can be very dangerous if done on your own. My advice: breathe whenever you need to, and find a coach and/or team to work with if you want to take your swimming to another level.
  • Engaging in these type of breath-holding activities -- whose benefits are, in fact, debatable to begin with as Steve mentioned -- should be limited to serious competitive swimmers and should be practiced under the direct supervision of a coach. He described 2/4/6/4/2 breathing. Hardly sounds extreme to me. Certainly not as extreme as the "swim a 50 underwater" breath holding exercise, which would require hyperventilation to suppress the urge to breathe. In addition, he's planning on taking surfing lessons. It's quite possible he'd be underwater longer than the typical breathing interval, so being able to hold his breath without panicking when the CO2 sensor kicks in would be a good thing, in my opinion. For me, as a mostly non-competitive swimmer, being able to make it past the flags on a push-off during a 10K postal swim is a huge win.
  • Googled hyperventilation training and it seems that would be the opposite to limited breathing. It would be more like breathing every stroke. Limited breathing (every 3, 5, or every length) lowers pH, hyperventilation raises it (respiratory alkalosis).