Fitness Poor?

I'm 57 and have been swimming masters a few years with some decent results in sprints (recently, 27.8 in 50 yard free, 35.8 in 50 yard ***), but my workouts were not very vigorous. I was swimming maybe 2-3 times a week and putting in anywhere from 1100 minimum to 2200 maximum. I have started working out with a team (of which I am not actually a member), because I realized I should push myself more. It's been hard to keep up and do all of the sets in practice, but I feel I am getting better, little by little. I've dropped 5 more pounds and my morning blood sugar (I'm type II diabetic) is now routinely under 100. After a particularly hard set, the coach instructed me to take my pulse, which was 23 for 10 seconds (138). He told me to cool down and do a 300 as slow as possible and after finishing, my pulse was 21 (126). He then pronounced me to be in "terrible condition" because he said I should be able to get up to 26 and come all the way down to 18 after the cool down. He instructed me to "call it a night" after completing a total of about 1900 (I'm guessing the total practice was about 3000) and also told me I should for now stop trying to go fast and just work on increasing my aerobic fitness. Is this accurate? I am 57, so my target rate, according to what I read, should be NO HIGHER THAN 138 (85% of max). Also, this is self-monitored, and being off by 1 or 2 for the ten seconds can make a difference of 6-12 bpm. This guy actually suggested that I "should get checked out." I'm also on blood pressure meds which sometimes can suppress the heart rate (although I am on an ARB, not a beta-blocker). My resting pulse is about 68. Should I be concerned...is he right?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I'l start by making it clear that I'm not medically or physiologically trained. However: 1) You have made a step change in your training and it will take time to adapt 2) Training zones according to heart rate are approximate and individual - there's no "should" IMO 3) As you are on medication that may limit your heart rate, that's even more the case (point 2) 4) If you enjoy sprinting, what does it matter whether you can do longer, harder aerobic sets? You will get the health benefits from swimming relatively easily, and speed benefits from doing spring work - do you need the stuff in between? 5) While heart rates are somewhat useful, there's also an argument for going on feel, especially as we get older 6) We're not age groupers and don't need to be dictated to by our coaches... Just a few thoughts..
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I'l start by making it clear that I'm not medically or physiologically trained. However: 1) You have made a step change in your training and it will take time to adapt 2) Training zones according to heart rate are approximate and individual - there's no "should" IMO 3) As you are on medication that may limit your heart rate, that's even more the case (point 2) 4) If you enjoy sprinting, what does it matter whether you can do longer, harder aerobic sets? You will get the health benefits from swimming relatively easily, and speed benefits from doing spring work - do you need the stuff in between? 5) While heart rates are somewhat useful, there's also an argument for going on feel, especially as we get older 6) We're not age groupers and don't need to be dictated to by our coaches... Just a few thoughts..
Children
No Data