How to tell if swim aids help?

There is a thread on benefits of using snorkels in swim training. I have seen debates in the past on effectiveness of various other swim aids - fins, pull buoys, tempo trainers, etc. The list of available gear is long. My question is - If I am using some piece of equipment as part of my training, how can I objectively determine if it is helping? If my times improve it may be due to other factors such as more training sessions per week, better designed sets (such as specific sets instead of "garbage yards"). Again a long list of possible factors. Love to hear some thoughts on how you determine if something is helping you. Can it be objectively determined with some reasonable method that does not require tons of measurements and equipment? Is it good enough that you feel subjectively that it helps, and that provides more motivation to work a little harder? I don't discount that factor. Sometimes if you believe it helps then it helps. Wondering how everyone else approaches this.
Parents
  • My question is - If I am using some piece of equipment as part of my training, how can I objectively determine if it is helping? . Mostly, unless there is an injury I am trying to work around, I try to go with the approach of using a toy sparingly then immediately integrating it into full stroke work. I don't find a set of say " 500 with Toy" nearly as useful as "10 x 50; odds with toy, evens full stroke". If you can feel the positive improvement immediately after ditching the toy, it's probably doing you some good. Likewise, If you notice the toy bring to light faults with your stroke mechanics, even if you only slip occasionally, it's likely doing some good in heightening your awareness. For me - my freestyle paddles used sparingly are brilliant. My kickboard is a piece of junk that puts me in poor alignment and I notice a better transfer of power to full stroke swimming when I kick in streamline only.
  • My question is - If I am using some piece of equipment as part of my training, how can I objectively determine if it is helping? . Mostly, unless there is an injury I am trying to work around, I try to go with the approach of using a toy sparingly then immediately integrating it into full stroke work. I don't find a set of say " 500 with Toy" nearly as useful as "10 x 50; odds with toy, evens full stroke". If you can feel the positive improvement immediately after ditching the toy, it's probably doing you some good. Likewise, If you notice the toy bring to light faults with your stroke mechanics, even if you only slip occasionally, it's likely doing some good in heightening your awareness. For me - my freestyle paddles used sparingly are brilliant. My kickboard is a piece of junk that puts me in poor alignment and I notice a better transfer of power to full stroke swimming when I kick in streamline only.
Children
No Data