Heart Rate Monitor with zone alert while swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Anyone know of a HRM that will alert you while actually swimming (not when standing in shallow end) if you go above or below your target zone? The Mio Fuse? I can't find a good review of someone swimming with it. All the other HRMs seem to need to be out of the water to send readings from the chest strap to the watch and have audible alarms that I know I wouldn't hear while swimming anyway.
Parents
  • First, I use the Fina monitor now and then. It's not perfect, but it works in the water better than anything else. It doesn't slip around my waist, which is what happens when I wear a monitor with a transducer that straps onto the chest; it doesn't have the prospect of interference from the water that's likely with a Mio wrist monitor, which is what I'd suggest for running or bikes. Most of the time, however, I go Old School: during interval rests, I count my pulse for six seconds and multiply by 10 (one advantage of this approach is that you don't get focused on the moments, like 10 seconds after a start, when the heart rate temporarily spikes before falling back to the aerobic range). Regarding the exact range in the water for aerobic activity (the aerobic energy system burns fat), I think it can vary among people but also can't an individual person's pulse rate change from month to month, depending on what's going on with that person? To find your aerobic / anaerobic threshold (this isn't exactly the same thing as trying to find the perfect range, but fat burning is what happens when you're working just below the anaerobic threshold), doesn't the Old School way work: Swim 15-20 minutes as fast as you can (but don't sprint to the finish), and take your pulse at 10, 15 and/or 20 minutes?
  • First, I use the Fina monitor now and then. It's not perfect, but it works in the water better than anything else. It doesn't slip around my waist, which is what happens when I wear a monitor with a transducer that straps onto the chest; it doesn't have the prospect of interference from the water that's likely with a Mio wrist monitor, which is what I'd suggest for running or bikes. Most of the time, however, I go Old School: during interval rests, I count my pulse for six seconds and multiply by 10 (one advantage of this approach is that you don't get focused on the moments, like 10 seconds after a start, when the heart rate temporarily spikes before falling back to the aerobic range). Regarding the exact range in the water for aerobic activity (the aerobic energy system burns fat), I think it can vary among people but also can't an individual person's pulse rate change from month to month, depending on what's going on with that person? To find your aerobic / anaerobic threshold (this isn't exactly the same thing as trying to find the perfect range, but fat burning is what happens when you're working just below the anaerobic threshold), doesn't the Old School way work: Swim 15-20 minutes as fast as you can (but don't sprint to the finish), and take your pulse at 10, 15 and/or 20 minutes?
Children
No Data