Race 1 Arm ***

K, so I have a hurt shoulder but not from swimming (imagine that!). By now I wanted to have goal races for December SCM NE Champs but I'm still mostly kicking with a bit of 1 arm drill. I may or may not be better by then but I want something to focus on now to keep me going. I've been practicing a LOT of SDK (although I'm mostly unable to streamline the hurt shoulder) and a lot of breaststroke kick with gentle sculling. I'm doing other stuff, too but a lot of dolphin & whip kick drills. I did some open water swimming this weekend (30 minutes without a set distance) completed as 5 x 1 arm fly, 5x *** kick with sculling (not a legal pull). And it got me thinking...I could race...anything. So I was thinking: 50 M free as 1 arm Fly 100 M free as 1 arm *** 200 M Free as 1 arm IM or 1 arm Free All with in water starts. Except the tricky part being *** isn't quite legal for Freestyle - I do go under a tiny bit and certainly would with a 1 arm stroke. Is it possible to get 1 arm *** for time in a breaststroke event if you keep that arm by your side and don't use it the whole race? I mean, I'll get a time no matter what but not get DQ'd? Would it be possible?
  • My advice would be to talk to the Referee before the meet and explain your situation to them. By virtue of the rules I think most referee's would DQ you since you are not permanently disabled. If the referee declares he/she will DQ you there's still no reason you can't swim. You can participate and get a DQ; there's really no shame in that. I assume you're not going for any records and you already know you're not swimming a technically correct *** so just dive in and see what you can do with one arm and look forward to the day you'll have use of both again. BTW I was a National Level Starter/Referee for several years when my 3 kids were swimmers.
  • You can reach out to the USMS Rules Committee chair, if you're concerned. Her email is rules@usms.org. Point her in the direction of this thread so she has the background. She'll be able to give you the official answer you're looking for.
  • IMHO ---You can do all that in the "Freestyle event" but not get a time for "*** stroke" using one arm. Unless amputated or something close is involved, Rehabbing is not a disability. This coming from someone that has 4 major hip operations.
  • IMHO ---You can do all that in the "Freestyle event" but not get a time for "*** stroke" using one arm. Unless amputated or something close is involved, Rehabbing is not a disability. This coming from someone that has 4 major hip operations. That is actually a good idea.Enter it as free,then you can get a time with splits.If you get DQd swimming BR you may not get a posted time.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Except the tricky part being *** isn't quite legal for Freestyle - I do go under a tiny bit and certainly would with a 1 arm stroke. It is legal to swim breaststroke during a Freestyle event. You can swim anything you want during a Freestyle event (even sidestroke). The time will be recorded as Freestyle, though, in the meet results.
  • I'd be leary of training one arm swimming. You may end up like Popeye. I think we all have a dominant arm but if the training arm is already your dominant arm I could see it effecting your balance and symmetry.
  • BR is the only stroke where you can go underwater after 15M. The chances of an official actually DQing you for that are slim as it is rare and subtle to go totally underwater.
  • I don't think he will swim that way after rehab.