I swim faster in the afternoon than in the morning

Former Member
Former Member
I don't want it to become a self-fulfilling prophecy but, it seems without fail that, I swim faster in the afternoon than in the morning. My 50's are faster by 1-2 seconds, my 100's by 3-4 seconds and my 200's by 6-8 seconds. I am guessing it is related to being more warmed up in the afternoon. I hardly ever do a warm up on the deck. I usually just jump into the pool and swim untill I feel good (about 500 meters) and then do a main set or two followed by a warm down. Could there be another reason?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Just agreeing this is very common, due to sleep cycles and food. There have been studies that athletic performance overall is better in the afternoon/evening. Are you swimming on an empty stomach in the morning? That might be something to look at. How long do you give yourself to wake up? No, I don't swim on an empty stomach. I always eat something. Usually scrambled eggs and a cup of coffee. Nothing too heavy. I eat that about 40 minutes before I swim and get about an hour in total from getting up to diving into the pool. Ideally, I need more time between getting up and getting into the pool but it isn't practical. not doing a proper warm up is certainly not good. i dont know how far you usually go in a workout nor your abilities, but a 500 warmup may not be enough. Deckside stretching or a longer warm up might alleviate it a bit, but I only have about 45 minutes to swim in the morning so I try to get as much main set swim time as possible. I guess it is a trade off. In the afternoon, you are more awake, more nourished, perhaps more stressed (the worse my mood, the faster I swim). Quite! I think this is fairly common and due to sleep inertia. Your body just can't transition from sleep to vigorous activity that quickly. I would suggest warming up a little longer and make sure that warmup includes building to some fast swimming. Sleep inertia! I like that phrase. I remember reading somehere once that Gennadi Touretski used to make Popov do an all-out 100 for time without warming up to stimulate his fight or flight response (to be always on the ready, combat prepared, as it were). Right-e-o. Try stretching first thing in the morning. Yow! I'm not flexible in general, but in the morning I'm about as stretchy as a piece of oak. Oak just about describes it! Oddly enough, on the odd occassion when I have had a late night and gotten into bed in the wee hours in the morning, only to get up a few hours later and go swimming, I have had my best morning practices and come close to my afternoon times.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Just agreeing this is very common, due to sleep cycles and food. There have been studies that athletic performance overall is better in the afternoon/evening. Are you swimming on an empty stomach in the morning? That might be something to look at. How long do you give yourself to wake up? No, I don't swim on an empty stomach. I always eat something. Usually scrambled eggs and a cup of coffee. Nothing too heavy. I eat that about 40 minutes before I swim and get about an hour in total from getting up to diving into the pool. Ideally, I need more time between getting up and getting into the pool but it isn't practical. not doing a proper warm up is certainly not good. i dont know how far you usually go in a workout nor your abilities, but a 500 warmup may not be enough. Deckside stretching or a longer warm up might alleviate it a bit, but I only have about 45 minutes to swim in the morning so I try to get as much main set swim time as possible. I guess it is a trade off. In the afternoon, you are more awake, more nourished, perhaps more stressed (the worse my mood, the faster I swim). Quite! I think this is fairly common and due to sleep inertia. Your body just can't transition from sleep to vigorous activity that quickly. I would suggest warming up a little longer and make sure that warmup includes building to some fast swimming. Sleep inertia! I like that phrase. I remember reading somehere once that Gennadi Touretski used to make Popov do an all-out 100 for time without warming up to stimulate his fight or flight response (to be always on the ready, combat prepared, as it were). Right-e-o. Try stretching first thing in the morning. Yow! I'm not flexible in general, but in the morning I'm about as stretchy as a piece of oak. Oak just about describes it! Oddly enough, on the odd occassion when I have had a late night and gotten into bed in the wee hours in the morning, only to get up a few hours later and go swimming, I have had my best morning practices and come close to my afternoon times.
Children
No Data