Train for 400LCM in SCY pool: Coming off a long break

Hi all! I'm a lifetime swimmer AG/HS/College but have had two gaps since college due to lack of pool access. I'm 34 and super excited that I've been back in the pool for 2 months. However I'm a bit shocked at how much speed I've lost this time. I wanted to swim in a meet and the only thing I can make it to in our area upcoming is a big July meet in LCM where my age group will be 19-34. :afraid: So, due to the lack of speed and swimming against college kids, I decided racing in my usual events might be a bit disheartening and it would be a good time to try something new. I've already announced it to my facebook friends and family, that something is the 400IM. What fresh hell have I gotten myself into. I need your help. What can I do to help bring back my some of my speed and hopefully finish the 400m IM without looking and feeling like a drowning sea turtle? I did a time trial of a 500yard IM from the wall 2 weeks ago with the goal of finishing and finished in 10:01.10. I did not feel like I needed life support afterwards but I wasn't half-arsing it, either. I've included way too much info below so you know where I've been and what I'm doing. So here's some times, all SCY: Lifetime bests around 20 years old: 50 free: 26.42 100 ***: 1:08.63 50 *** (relay): 32.89 200 free: 1:58.?? Around 26-28 mostly tri focused because of lack of pool time. 100 ***: 1:20? 200 *** was 2:55? 200 free was 2:20? I don't have it written down and many of my meets didn't make it into the USMS records because quite a few meets up here aren't sanctioned. Now I've got an extra 25lbs. This appears to be affecting my breaststroke the most because I can feel my balance is off: my hips sink when I don't want them to and float too much when I actually want them to sink the teensiest bit so I'm not kicking air. I've been working out for two months slowly getting in more time and workouts. Started at about 1500 yards in 45 minutes 3 times a week and now I'm up at 2500-3000 yard in about 75-90 minutes going 5 times a week. It seems like when I try to do 25s as hard as I can I'm hitting times of: Fly: 22-24 Back: 23-24 ***: 24-25 Free: 18-20 When I do 50s the best I've been able to pull off is: Fly: 56 Back: 53 ***: 58 Free: 40 (typically more like 45 but I was able to sprint against some other masters swimmers that day) My workout typically looks like: 600-800 yard Warm up: 100-200 swim, 200 kick, 200-400 drills (for early AM swims, there's often a lot of kicking to get the blood moving). ----- Main sets rotate through and depending on the day, more than one main set. Main Set choice 1: 500 yards 25s on 15 seconds focus on one stroke. Main set choice 2: 1000 (ish) total yards IM, increasing distance by 25 yards each session I swim this. First time was 100s on 30 seconds rest, last time was is 175s on 1:00 rest. Goal is to get up to 2x 500 yards with 5 minutes rest. Main set choice 3: 1000 (ish) yards stroke in IM order, rotating so no two in order are same stroke. Could be 50s, 75s, 100s or 125s. On 20-30 seconds rest. Main set choice 4: 1000 (ish) yards stroke in IM order, rotating so finish all of one stroke before moving to the next. Could be 50s, 75s, 100s or 125s. On 20-30 seconds rest. Main set choice 5: 2x500 FreeIM on 5 minutes rest (IM with free instead of Fly.) Main set choice 6: 5x200 IM order on 2:00 rest. Last one IM. ------- Optional 4x25 sprints from wall. Plenty of rest. Choice. ------- Cool down of 600-800 yards similar to warm up. Anything I can change or add to improve my chances at doing well would be greatly appreciated. I've been working technique, technique, technique with everything. Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • This might sound like a ridiculous question...but how do you loaf the fly in a 400 IM? Three months ago I would have been laughing at the idea of loafing the fly and saying the same thing. I figured there had to be something wrong with my fly since in college it was by time slower than all my other strokes. I found some fly drills on YouTube from The Race Club and it helped me immensely. In 30 minutes of drill, I dropped 15 seconds off a 25. All these years my breath timing was wrong and no coach bothered to correct it...probably since I was a breaststroker. I tried doing the skate drill - something my coaches had never done before - and it was instant change. I could feel exactly how wrong my timing was. Now it seems I have two speeds: a cruise speed with a nice relaxed recovery that I can keep up for a while and a "sprint" speed that tires me a bit more than but still in a similar way to other strokes. No more piano. I'm really glad I fixed my fly. Obviously, YMMV, but if it's a project you want to tackle, you might be surprised at the results.
  • This might sound like a ridiculous question...but how do you loaf the fly in a 400 IM? Three months ago I would have been laughing at the idea of loafing the fly and saying the same thing. I figured there had to be something wrong with my fly since in college it was by time slower than all my other strokes. I found some fly drills on YouTube from The Race Club and it helped me immensely. In 30 minutes of drill, I dropped 15 seconds off a 25. All these years my breath timing was wrong and no coach bothered to correct it...probably since I was a breaststroker. I tried doing the skate drill - something my coaches had never done before - and it was instant change. I could feel exactly how wrong my timing was. Now it seems I have two speeds: a cruise speed with a nice relaxed recovery that I can keep up for a while and a "sprint" speed that tires me a bit more than but still in a similar way to other strokes. No more piano. I'm really glad I fixed my fly. Obviously, YMMV, but if it's a project you want to tackle, you might be surprised at the results.
Children
No Data