Hypoxic Training - Good or Bad?

I'm just curious to know what you all think about hypoxic training. Do you think it's a good or a bad thing and why?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    First of all, "older masters swimmers" have as much potential for improving conditioning as anyone else. If a swimmer practices breathing every 3rd or every 5th stroke, they can develop the capacity for such a breathing pattern, regardless of their age. Second, the idea that holding on to your breath gives you extra buoyancy is inaccurate. Many beginner swimmers tend to hold on to their breath underwater constantly and it only increases their anxiety and fatigue. Holding on to the breath, instead of controlled exhalation, also makes the swimmer more tense in the water. Controlled exhalation allows them to relax and prepare to take the next breath in a more fluid manner. This is a good drill to help vary your breathing. Are you saying that it is possible to increase lung capacity in older masters swimmers, or that there is a capacity for masters swimmers to learn better breathing patterns? If the latter then I agree, breathing patterns can be improved hence the example I referenced when trying to reduce the number of breaths per 50. Most masters sprinters breathe too often on a 50 costing them valuable time. My view is that lung condition can be improved through exercise, stopping smoking, etc, however capacity cannot be increased. Happy to be proven wrong though. I'm confused by your comment that filling the lungs with air, as opposed to no or little air, would not increase buoyancy? That's basic physics, and when we are talking about a 50 free controlled exhalation isn't a consideration. I'm just advising what has worked for me, and the sprint swimmers at our club. I've dropped from a 24.3 (SCM) to a 23.3 after 2 years of focused sprint training based on Maglischo training principles. Many others in our club have achieved similar results, following the same plan, most of us in our 40's and 50's. Breathing for distance swimming is a different matter entirely.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    First of all, "older masters swimmers" have as much potential for improving conditioning as anyone else. If a swimmer practices breathing every 3rd or every 5th stroke, they can develop the capacity for such a breathing pattern, regardless of their age. Second, the idea that holding on to your breath gives you extra buoyancy is inaccurate. Many beginner swimmers tend to hold on to their breath underwater constantly and it only increases their anxiety and fatigue. Holding on to the breath, instead of controlled exhalation, also makes the swimmer more tense in the water. Controlled exhalation allows them to relax and prepare to take the next breath in a more fluid manner. This is a good drill to help vary your breathing. Are you saying that it is possible to increase lung capacity in older masters swimmers, or that there is a capacity for masters swimmers to learn better breathing patterns? If the latter then I agree, breathing patterns can be improved hence the example I referenced when trying to reduce the number of breaths per 50. Most masters sprinters breathe too often on a 50 costing them valuable time. My view is that lung condition can be improved through exercise, stopping smoking, etc, however capacity cannot be increased. Happy to be proven wrong though. I'm confused by your comment that filling the lungs with air, as opposed to no or little air, would not increase buoyancy? That's basic physics, and when we are talking about a 50 free controlled exhalation isn't a consideration. I'm just advising what has worked for me, and the sprint swimmers at our club. I've dropped from a 24.3 (SCM) to a 23.3 after 2 years of focused sprint training based on Maglischo training principles. Many others in our club have achieved similar results, following the same plan, most of us in our 40's and 50's. Breathing for distance swimming is a different matter entirely.
Children
No Data