Do I need to take it slow?

Former Member
Former Member
I'm new to swimming, not new to running. When you start out running you have to be careful about not increasing the workload too quickly because of impact/connective tissue/etc, because you may get injured. I'm wondering if this is the case with swimming? Last night I did a workout of a 50yd free warmup, 4 sets of , a 50, 6x75, 5x100. That was only the second workout I've ever done (the first was a week ago, basically half the total distance.) I was practicing keeping high elbows, a motion I'm not used to. Disregarding whether I'm actually capable of swimming 10,000 yards aerobically and "muscularly" at the moment, is there any reason why I should force myself to build up in bits and pieces at a time, rather than do as much as I can?
Parents
  • The answer is also a bit age dependent. If you're in your teens or 20s, there would be few limits other than listening to your body. As you move to middle age and older, be more cautious. I've had to learn this lesson the very hard way... And by the way, that 10% per week "rule" is bogus. It is WAY too aggressive of a growth pattern. Jack Daniels, the long time, decorated running coach (not the whiskey), has some excellent books and articles about safely growing run distance. Its much more conservative than the absurd 10% per week stuff. Good luck.
  • The answer is also a bit age dependent. If you're in your teens or 20s, there would be few limits other than listening to your body. As you move to middle age and older, be more cautious. I've had to learn this lesson the very hard way... And by the way, that 10% per week "rule" is bogus. It is WAY too aggressive of a growth pattern. Jack Daniels, the long time, decorated running coach (not the whiskey), has some excellent books and articles about safely growing run distance. Its much more conservative than the absurd 10% per week stuff. Good luck.
Children
No Data