How "fluid" is swimming?

So I'm a middle-aged guy who took up swimming a few years ago--and loves it! Not a great swimmer, but a person who has pretty solid mechanics in three sports. So here's my prologue, then my question. Some actions are fluid: running, shooting a layup with normal elevation. By fluid, I mean you transfer the energy forward in a continuous motion without "cocking" or "setting up" the next stride, or the upward motion off the court. Other actions we may call "fluid," but they are not: high jumping, a tennis serve, swinging a golf club. In all these, there is a hesitation (very slight) while one gathers so that energy can be properly delivered to the key motion. A tennis serve should be smooth, but if there's not that instant when you are setting yourself up for the explosive movement, then it will never be a powerful serve. So which is swimming? Specifically, the reach in freestyle? I know you are not supposed to have a "dead spot" in your stroke, but is the idea a continual forward rolling motion, or does one stay relaxed, yet **** a bit, or set up each reach? Is it a flywheel, or is it a smooth, relaxed succession of spear thrusts with a little torque behind them? Not sure that it matters, but in my case I'm asking as someone who has (or at least tries to have) more of a hip driven stroke. I've had a little coaching and have read a lot of stuff, but I can't say I know the answer. Thanks for considering this!
  • How can a layup be fluid but a high jump is not fluid? Dan
  • Thanks for the feedback. My use of "fluid" is pretty slippery. Re layup/high jump, a layup at regular elevation is a controlled movement that just uses the natural force that's already there moving forward, with the emphasis on balance and smoothness, whereas a high-jumper is preparing for an explosive move. Put another way, a layup at regular elevation is just the next stride going slightly upward rather than forward. When I watch competitive swimmers filmed underwater, there seems to be a slight hesitation before the catch, but I think the reference to "riding the glide" probably explains that better then sort of setting up for the catch, which I had suggested as a possibility. If I might ask a follow-up question, is it fair to say then, if the motion is continuous (except maybe for the glide), then is the motion at least accelerated slightly as one begins the catch? I guess at the heart of my question is whether I'm being too lazy when I reach forward. I can swim with a very consistent tempo, kind of like a paddle boat, if I just don't reach out too far, and if I keep a consistent amount of force through my core. This is very fluid, but it's also slower than if I am intentionally more aggressive with the catch so that I really reach out there. Thanks again for the conversation; I've always been sort of a mechanics wonk when it comes to sports, and this is part of the fun of swimming and improving for me.
  • How can a layup be fluid but a high jump is not fluid? Dan I would ask the same question. Whether a movement is "fluid" or not seems to be a subjective determination that you are making. Seems like what you really want to know is "How can I improve my freestyle mechanics (technique)"? There are many people here who can help you with that. Usual suggestion is to post a video of your swim. You might try that. Glad that you are excited about improving your swim performance. Good luck! Have fun!
  • How can a layup be fluid but a high jump is not fluid?I’ve seen a lot of graceful/fluid high jumpers and a lot of ugly non-fluid jump shots. Just as I’ve seen a lot of swimmers who gracefully/efficiently/ fluidly move through the water as well as a lot of folks thrashing about whilst swimming. So I guess your definition of fluid movement and mine differ. As for motion and acceleration from a mechanical perspective, there is continual motional and acceleration of the hand, forearm, elbow, upper arm shoulder; along the X, Y and Z axis. The same can be said for legs (Upper, knee, lower, ankles, heal, toes). And the velocity and acceleration is different for each component part of the arm and leg. It is how these all work together along with the body’s core that determines how graceful and fluid the swimmer appears.
  • I suppose I'm to blame for bringing the term "fluid" (as I was subjectively defining it) into the discussion. Maybe I should have said "aggressive" vs. "passive." An open layup is a passive movement--again, just taking the force that's already there with your speed and converting it slightly upward. It's a totally relaxed motion with no additional effort introduced through the motion. A high jump is building tension toward an aggressive POP moment. That's what I was trying to get at and thought the general question might benefit others more than something specific to only my mechanics, but in this case I suspect a picture/video would in fact be better than a 1000 words. Thanks again.
  • Chuckled when I saw the site automatically blanked out my four letter word (that starts with c and ends with k) for setting up a motion, which, in this context, is not profane.
  • I would say fluid except for the walls and blocks
  • I think in the sense you intend, the answer is "fluid". Swimmers strive for uniform propulsion and uniform velocity through the stroke cycle. Of course, this is easier to achieve in some strokes, and harder in others (yes, breaststroke, I'm looking at you). Swimmers try to eliminate any decreases in velocity. Here is a recent analysis of the backstroke arm pull by Maglischo, illustrating a number of velocity graphs. He also published velocity graphs for all strokes in his 2003 book, Swimming Fastest. The obvious goal is uniform velocity, which is what I think you mean by "fluidity".
  • I have not heard of fluid defined this way. If there is hesitation,does that break fluidity,or does it require a backward cocking motion to break fluidity.In distance free there is generally a hesitation at the extension before the catch.Similarly there is a hesitation in BR in streamline after the kick in all but sprints, while you ride the glide. There is not generally a reverse cocking motion.
  • Since swimming is in a fluid,POP type movements are counter productive.You want to be accelerating through the pull.I can think of 2 sort of "cocking" motions in swimming.If you do a "slingshot" type start from the block the rocking back would be cocking(and I guess the start would then be a pop,but you aren't in the water.) In BR at the catch of the kick as you turn your feet out could be considered a cocking movement,but the kick is a constant acceleration,not a pop.