How "fluid" is swimming?

So I'm a middle-aged guy who took up swimming a few years ago--and loves it! Not a great swimmer, but a person who has pretty solid mechanics in three sports. So here's my prologue, then my question. Some actions are fluid: running, shooting a layup with normal elevation. By fluid, I mean you transfer the energy forward in a continuous motion without "cocking" or "setting up" the next stride, or the upward motion off the court. Other actions we may call "fluid," but they are not: high jumping, a tennis serve, swinging a golf club. In all these, there is a hesitation (very slight) while one gathers so that energy can be properly delivered to the key motion. A tennis serve should be smooth, but if there's not that instant when you are setting yourself up for the explosive movement, then it will never be a powerful serve. So which is swimming? Specifically, the reach in freestyle? I know you are not supposed to have a "dead spot" in your stroke, but is the idea a continual forward rolling motion, or does one stay relaxed, yet **** a bit, or set up each reach? Is it a flywheel, or is it a smooth, relaxed succession of spear thrusts with a little torque behind them? Not sure that it matters, but in my case I'm asking as someone who has (or at least tries to have) more of a hip driven stroke. I've had a little coaching and have read a lot of stuff, but I can't say I know the answer. Thanks for considering this!
Parents
  • How can a layup be fluid but a high jump is not fluid?I’ve seen a lot of graceful/fluid high jumpers and a lot of ugly non-fluid jump shots. Just as I’ve seen a lot of swimmers who gracefully/efficiently/ fluidly move through the water as well as a lot of folks thrashing about whilst swimming. So I guess your definition of fluid movement and mine differ. As for motion and acceleration from a mechanical perspective, there is continual motional and acceleration of the hand, forearm, elbow, upper arm shoulder; along the X, Y and Z axis. The same can be said for legs (Upper, knee, lower, ankles, heal, toes). And the velocity and acceleration is different for each component part of the arm and leg. It is how these all work together along with the body’s core that determines how graceful and fluid the swimmer appears.
  • How can a layup be fluid but a high jump is not fluid?I’ve seen a lot of graceful/fluid high jumpers and a lot of ugly non-fluid jump shots. Just as I’ve seen a lot of swimmers who gracefully/efficiently/ fluidly move through the water as well as a lot of folks thrashing about whilst swimming. So I guess your definition of fluid movement and mine differ. As for motion and acceleration from a mechanical perspective, there is continual motional and acceleration of the hand, forearm, elbow, upper arm shoulder; along the X, Y and Z axis. The same can be said for legs (Upper, knee, lower, ankles, heal, toes). And the velocity and acceleration is different for each component part of the arm and leg. It is how these all work together along with the body’s core that determines how graceful and fluid the swimmer appears.
Children
No Data