Was Anyone Else Born Without A Kick?

I've never asked this since becoming more active in these forums. Maybe someone can explain it. Why don't I have a kick? I'm 54, been swimming for about 30 years. Never on a team, nor even coached. I got into it for two reasons...so that I could compete in triathlons and other long-distance open water swims, and to improve my times for my fitness tests when I was on active duty in the Navy. And I'm pretty much just a crawl-stroker. Not much of a need for swimming the other strokes. I like to think that for never being coached that I've done OK for myself. I can still swim 500 free in around 6:30 or less, and if conditions are just right I can do a (statute mile/1600meters) in 25:00 and change (in my 20s and 30s I was a little faster). I said "never coached" but throughout my Navy career at various duty stations I occasionally encountered other military swimmers who were significantly accomplished swimmers...including a few NCAA Div I All Americans...whose brain I'd pick and they'd give me pointers. Without fail, they would always say that for never being coached I had a pretty good (crawl) stroke. But the one thing that no one could ever figure out is why my kick doesn't work. I've tried to improve it over the years to no avail. But I mean it takes me 50-55 seconds to go 25 meters and it's pretty tiring. It's so weak that at one pool I swan in until a few years ago...the filtration system return nozzles were strong enough to push me sideways into the lane line when using a kickboard (embarrassing!). So I only kick enough to keep good body position in the water. For what it's worth...same thing happens on backstroke, and those occasions I swim butterfly. I have size 13 feet -- natural fins/flippers. Still, the little kids in the swim lesson lane have a better kick than I do. So...does this phenomenon happen to anyone else? Can anyone say why? Dan
  • I have a weak kick, but I've been improving lately - by foregoing the kickboard and doing IM kick sets on my back. I feel my core is getting stronger and I'm getting more distance out of a single kick. I like the kickboard for breaststroke kick, though.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Yes, I am the same way. I am told it is because I do not have flexible ankles. I once had a shoulder problem and the doctor told me not to raise my arm above my head for three months. So I spent those three months in the pool kicking (with the bad arm down at my side). I hoped that three months of kicking 3-4 workouts per week would improve my kicking ability. I was wrong. My ankles are not a hindrance for breaststroke kicking. Just for flutter kick. Anna Lea
  • I don't think anyone is born with a swimming kick! It's how and when you learn that kick that makes all the difference. If you started swimming from early childhood, it is a lot easier to develop your kick and to retain that kick throughout your life. In your case, you started swimming when you were about 24 years old, and the swimming that you did was mostly using your upper body. From time to time, you decided to try to develop your kick but the experiences you had left you frustrated and maybe even embarrassed. What you need is consistency, a variety of kick, and smart kick training. Trying to do longer kicking sets consisting of only flutter kick will actually not help you too much. And as you have experienced, without an efficient kick you will tire very easily. You need to incorporate small amounts of kicking at each workout and practice kick-oriented drills that will help improve the efficiency of your kick. You need a competent coach to guide you into kick development. As Green Ribbon Guy said, the kickboard is not necessarily the key to developing a good kick, Incorporate a variety of kicking drills, and try to kick in other strokes besides flutter kick. And above all, don't let frustration get you down or cause you to give up. Consistency is very important. Best of luck!
  • forums.usms.org/showthread.php Have you tried 25's or less with several minutes rest? Are you stretching your ankles?
  • I've never asked this since becoming more active in these forums. Maybe someone can explain it. Why don't I have a kick? I'm 54, been swimming for about 30 years. Never on a team, nor even coached. I got into it for two reasons...so that I could compete in triathlons and other long-distance open water swims, and to improve my times for my fitness tests when I was on active duty in the Navy. And I'm pretty much just a crawl-stroker. Not much of a need for swimming the other strokes. I like to think that for never being coached that I've done OK for myself. I can still swim 500 free in around 6:30 or less, and if conditions are just right I can do a (statute mile/1600meters) in 25:00 and change (in my 20s and 30s I was a little faster). I said "never coached" but throughout my Navy career at various duty stations I occasionally encountered other military swimmers who were significantly accomplished swimmers...including a few NCAA Div I All Americans...whose brain I'd pick and they'd give me pointers. Without fail, they would always say that for never being coached I had a pretty good (crawl) stroke. But the one thing that no one could ever figure out is why my kick doesn't work. I've tried to improve it over the years to no avail. But I mean it takes me 50-55 seconds to go 25 meters and it's pretty tiring. It's so weak that at one pool I swan in until a few years ago...the filtration system return nozzles were strong enough to push me sideways into the lane line when using a kickboard (embarrassing!). So I only kick enough to keep good body position in the water. For what it's worth...same thing happens on backstroke, and those occasions I swim butterfly. I have size 13 feet -- natural fins/flippers. Still, the little kids in the swim lesson lane have a better kick than I do. So...does this phenomenon happen to anyone else? Can anyone say why? Dan I'm seriously lacking anything like a kick. But if it's any consolation to you, your post gives me hope. If you can swim that fast with a kick that's similar to mine in the amount of time it takes to go 25 yards, I am starting to think MAYBE there's some faster swimming in me yet. I ENVY your 500 free and your 1650!
  • Like you, I never swam when I was younger and have had no formal coaching. I have a natural stroke for distance swimming and had essentially no kick for a long time either. I had a severe injury last summer that immobilized one of my arms for the better part of three months. I was able to get back in the water after 6 weeks, but I could only kick. I started doing 3000 yards of kicking every day, six days a week, for about 6 weeks. Now I have a kick! I think that if you dedicate yourself to working on kicking, you can develop a kick. However, if you're only interested in long distance swimming and open water, it's not really too beneficial. A two-beat kick is really all you need to keep your body position correct in the water. Kicking more than that will tire you out. However, if you want to swim a fast 100 or 200, you'll definitely benefit from having a powerful kick.
  • I started doing 3000 yards of kicking every day, six days a week, for about 6 weeks. :afraid: OMG!!! It would take me six weeks to kick 3000 yards. Dan
  • forums.usms.org/showthread.php Have you tried 25's or less with several minutes rest? Are you stretching your ankles? __steve__...no I haven’t tried the 25s, and I do stretch my ankles. I have to admit…the testimonials in the thread you referenced are encouraging. I may try that. But inasmuch as my kicking is so slow…it just seems so time consuming (or waste of time) to add kicking drills when I could be doing actual swimming. I guess I could just individually substitute them into my masters w/o group's workouts. Thanks. Dan
  • I have a friend that when kicking he goes BACKWARD???? It is so bizarre to watch!
  • __steve__...no I haven’t tried the 25s, and I do stretch my ankles. I have to admit…the testimonials in the thread you referenced are encouraging. I may try that. But inasmuch as my kicking is so slow…it just seems so time consuming (or waste of time) to add kicking drills when I could be doing actual swimming. I guess I could just individually substitute them into my masters w/o group's workouts. Thanks. Dan Since coming back to swimming after a 20+ year hiatus, my kick is pretty bad. I have been incorporating 100-200 yards of hard kicking 25s into my workouts for about 5 years. Once in a while, I do a workout that is just kicking. I was noticing small improvements to my freestyle kick along the way, but this year, finally, I am seeing huge improvements in my kick (based on 25 times). IMO, hard kicking is still swimming and not a waste of time. Leisurely kicking is a waste of time, unless your goal is to relax and socialize.