Sinking swimmer

I am helping a relatively new swimmer improve their technique. Stan, is a strongly built swimmer with NO natural flotation. When he swims his whole body is below the surface. He holds his breath for many strokes, and has to work on his kick a bit to raise his legs and improve his body position a bit more, but the main issue seems to be his general sinking. I would expect the breathing, kicking and head position would affect him being more horizontal but the sinking is hard to change. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Parents
  • Thanks for the ideas and the complement in helping others to swim and or swim better. I enjoy helping others swim as much as do when I learn to swim better myself. It is a payback and pay forward to those that help me with my technique. Thanks for paying it forward :chug: Working on his breathing technique and pattern (is he inhaling and perhaps more importantly exhaling properly - I think beginners should breath every stroke) might help improve body position for the "air" reasons others have stated. But I also think speed is the real issue and speed only comes with lots of work on kick and stroke technique and efficiency. I don't think his buoyancy is the problem. Like a motor boat starting up and running slow, the body won't begin to rise in the water and plane until you there is speed. I think this is the most frustrating aspect of swimming for a beginner, and have heard this stated many times, especially if they are watching good swimmers with sound techniques that easily get going seemingly effortlessly. For most good swimmers, that effortless speed took a long time and a lot of work to learn. If he keeps working that will come, no matter how buoyant he is or is not. Catch-up drill and one arm drill with lots of kicking between strokes - emphasizing long strokes and reducing stroke count come to mind. Using a pull buoy obviously helps flotation and swim fins work great to help achieve an effortless sense of speed and allow one to work on body position, breathing and stroke mechanics without fighting to stay up in the water.
  • Thanks for the ideas and the complement in helping others to swim and or swim better. I enjoy helping others swim as much as do when I learn to swim better myself. It is a payback and pay forward to those that help me with my technique. Thanks for paying it forward :chug: Working on his breathing technique and pattern (is he inhaling and perhaps more importantly exhaling properly - I think beginners should breath every stroke) might help improve body position for the "air" reasons others have stated. But I also think speed is the real issue and speed only comes with lots of work on kick and stroke technique and efficiency. I don't think his buoyancy is the problem. Like a motor boat starting up and running slow, the body won't begin to rise in the water and plane until you there is speed. I think this is the most frustrating aspect of swimming for a beginner, and have heard this stated many times, especially if they are watching good swimmers with sound techniques that easily get going seemingly effortlessly. For most good swimmers, that effortless speed took a long time and a lot of work to learn. If he keeps working that will come, no matter how buoyant he is or is not. Catch-up drill and one arm drill with lots of kicking between strokes - emphasizing long strokes and reducing stroke count come to mind. Using a pull buoy obviously helps flotation and swim fins work great to help achieve an effortless sense of speed and allow one to work on body position, breathing and stroke mechanics without fighting to stay up in the water.
Children
No Data