New Speedo ad starring 91-year-old Jurgen Schmidt

Former Member
Former Member
91-year-old swimmer stars in Speedo ad Bruce Horovitz, USA TODAY 6:19 p.m. EST January 11, 2015 www.usatoday.com/.../
  • Wow, how many runners or triathletes, or even cyclists to you see at this age? What an amazing tribute to our sport that you can still be competitive into your 9th decade? Well how many swimmers of that age do you see? I mean actually swimming for fitness and not just splashing around. I never see swimmers of that age. Even the seniors participating in the aquarobics class in the shallow end aren't that old. Dan
  • I (virtually) know quite a few who cyclists are in their eighties, probably some in their nineties. (When they get to that age, you generally don't ask. :)) Then there is Robert Marchand: 102-year old Robert Marchand beats own hour record I got a good chuckle from this: "With doping I could have ridden faster," Marchand joked.
  • 91-year-old swimmer stars in Speedo ad Bruce Horovitz, USA TODAY 6:19 p.m. EST January 11, 2015 www.usatoday.com/.../ The story ran in today's print version of USA Today.
  • Well how many swimmers of that age do you see? I mean actually swimming for fitness and not just splashing around. Dan This is my 98year old teammate! :cheerleader: 9288
  • I just ran a report of all 2014 USMS members: WOMEN, number of members: Ages 80-84: 134 Ages 85-89: 70 Ages 90-94: 19 Ages 95-99: 8 Age 100: 1 MEN, number of members: Ages 80-84: 266 Ages 85-89: 106 Ages 90-94: 34 Ages 95-99: 5 :banana: I'll bet those numbers continue to grow each year, too. :cheerleader:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Well how many swimmers of that age do you see? I mean actually swimming for fitness and not just splashing around. I never see swimmers of that age. Even the seniors participating in the aquarobics class in the shallow end aren't that old. Dan I just ran a report of all 2014 USMS members: WOMEN, number of members: Ages 80-84: 134 Ages 85-89: 70 Ages 90-94: 19 Ages 95-99: 8 Age 100: 1 MEN, number of members: Ages 80-84: 266 Ages 85-89: 106 Ages 90-94: 34 Ages 95-99: 5
  • Interesting stats. What's the overall percentage of men vs. women in USMS? I wouldn't have expected there to be so many more men, but maybe it's a legacy of women not participating in sports as much as men historically.
  • Would also be interesting to see how many of the various age groups have participated in meets or postal swims (and how many?) in the past N years.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Interesting stats. What's the overall percentage of men vs. women in USMS? I wouldn't have expected there to be so many more men, but maybe it's a legacy of women not participating in sports as much as men historically. Here are some 2014 statistics: www.usms.org/.../reg_stats.pdf
  • Very interesting stats. Women outnumber men until the 40-44 age group.