Now - the latest rule in dolphin kick in breaststroke turns!

OK--- So here is the latest in explaining when we can do a dolphin kick & not get DQ'ed !!:badday: We can do it like the Olympics:bow: swimmers!! Oz Osborne OK Now the Latest Official rule is : Emergency Rule Change: Breaststroke Modification in timing of breaststroke kick effective now!! FINA changed the breaststroke kick rule November 29, 2014, at an extraordinary Congress in Doha, Qatar. USA Swimming automatically adopted that rule change November 30, 2014. USMS automatically adopted the breaststroke kick rule change in accordance with USMS 601.4.7B as of December 2, 2014. The amendment to the USMS breaststroke kick rule 101.2.3 is effective immediately. Following is the text of the amended breaststroke kick rule: "101.2.3 Kick-After the start and after each turn, at any time prior to the first breaststroke kick, a single butterfly (dolphin) kick is permitted, following which, all movements of the legs shall be simultaneous and in the same horizontal plane without alternating movement. The feet must be turned outwards during the propulsive part of the kick. Scissors, alternating movements, or downward butterfly (dolphin) kicks are not permitted except as provided herein. Breaking the surface of the water with the feet is allowed unless followed by a downward butterfly (dolphin) kick." What this rule change means for swimmers and officials: A visible separation of the hands initiating the arm pull is no longer required before the single butterfly (dolphin) kick that may be taken after the start and after each turn. A single butterfly (dolphin) kick is permitted at any time after the start or after pushing off the wall on each turn and before the first breaststroke kick. For any questions contact: Kathy Casey, Chair, USMS Rules Committee.
  • AND politicians always regret the wrongs ONLY after they get caught!! So after the BR extra DP swimmers get caught BUT not DQed we change the rule? Interesting eliminating the pullout!! Yeah - slower is hard to go back in time results.
  • Notice how the swimmers who couldn't do a pull down without doing an undulation suddenly could when they were pushing the envelope with the early dolphin kick. If FINA just had the guts to DQ cheaters at big meets we wouldn't be in this mess. I'm with you, Allen. I would actually love to see officials use underwater cameras to DQ illegal dolphin kicks. I'm thinking also about the swimmers that dolphin into the finish and don't get called. I fear that breaststroke is on its way to becoming another version of the underwater dolphin kick stroke that the other strokes have largely become.
  • How about making the "pull down" illegal this would eliminate the confusion of a DK versus a natural hip movement due to the "pull down" ( a pull down is a butterfly stroke). That is a very sensible idea so FINA will never go for it. :laugh2: Also, I think FINA is generally averse to rules that would make times slower, with some notable exceptions (e.g. banning tech suits or the 15m rule).
  • I tried it tonight at swim team practice. I feel as if I go farther but is my speed slowing down at that point? I really can feel a 2nd DK at the end of the pullout coming on !!!
  • Better yet - let's just remove the stroke entirely from the IM!:banana: Haters gotta hate.
  • Better yet - let's just remove the stroke entirely from the IM!:banana: But there would go the nice symmetry of all four strokes. I'm afraid 75, 150, and 300 IM as events just don't have the same ring. ;) To be honest, it's hard to visualize all this dolphin, breaststroke kick, etc. just at the moment. Might someone post a video of the 1. Now legal, formerly illegal procedure and the 2. Old legal procedure. I'd like to actually see what these changes look like on real swimmers. On a computer screen, it's just a little hazy. I have a selfish motivation here too b/c I want to broaden my stroke repertoire, and I'm looking to the breaststroke as my first non-freestyle stroke to work on. It promises, a. that I'm more likely to avoid collision and b. that I'm less likely (as in butterfly) to turn caterpillar before completing 25 yards. So I'm not ready to have this useful stroke removed from the rotation. But give me a year or so and I might learn to love butterfly and break out of the breaststroke cocoon.
  • Lt's make the I'm 4 strokes of your choice - you must do at least one free & the others you can mix!
  • Better yet - let's just remove the stroke entirely from the IM!:banana: *** stroke is by far the most difficult stoke to perfect. This is why most so called swimmers :) get frustrated when trying to execute this technical stroke. Also, the butterfly may not exist today if it wasn't for the *** stroke.
  • Lt's make the I'm 4 strokes of your choice - you must do at least one free & the others you can mix! Now THAT could really get interesting--one free, another sidestroke, maybe elementary backstroke, and dog paddle. ;) It could be the "Free for all" relay.
  • It makes my head hurt. Personally I think they should just admit defeat and embrace the dark side: as many DKs (and pull-downs) as you want, out to 15m. :-) Better yet - let's just remove the stroke entirely from the IM!:banana: