Swimmer's ear

Former Member
Former Member
I searched this forum in various ways and couldn't find this topic, which I find hard to believe. I think I have swimmer's ear, which is weird, b/c I haven't had that in decades. It seems to hurt at night, then itches. I'm wondering if it's ok to swim or should I wait it out. Do I need any kind of antibiotic ear drops? I usually use homemade drops (white vinegar/alcohol) after swimming, but haven't done it lately.
  • I've only been to the pool twice this week because of shoulder and neck pain. It started a few weeks ago and just won't go away, so I had my teacher look at my stroke and she said it's fine. The doc wants me to lay off swimming for a week, but it's making me crazy and I don't think it's doing anything to make my shoulder better.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    dulfin, yes, I am using Ciprodex. I only used it once last night and didn't have to take any ibuprofen yet, and it's 24 hours later. Wouldn't that seem to indicate there IS an infection? I am taking a very mild decongestant. She wants to drain the congestion. Is your allergy pill an anthistamine, decongestant or both?
  • Renie Ciprodex is an antibiotic and steroid. It's my guess that the reason you haven't needed to take any Ibuprofen is because the steroid is reducing inflammation. My allergy pill is a generic Zyrtec - Cetirizine 10mg. This is an antihistamine. When I need to clear congestion, I use generic Sudafed - Pseudoephedrine 30mg. This is OTC but you have to get from the pharmacist. I almost always take the Pseudoephedrine when I get a cold. Specifically a head cold. I can't always tell when fluid starts building on the ear. However, I DO NOT take both at the same time. It's either one or the other. I also have the misfortune of having year round allergies. Having had ear troubles as a kid, I'm very sensitive to potential problems. I'm not a pill popper by nature and hate having to take something every day. However, in the long run, I know I'm doing more good by sticking to a routine. The nasal spray has really been the key. I don't get nearly the same relief by taking only an allergy pill. Add the eye drops which are also an antihistamine - Bausch + Lomb Alaway, and I'm in good shape. Purely anecdotal, but my Kleenex usage has dropped considerably. This isn't a perfect regimen that I'm on, but it's helping considerably. There are still things that I react to - my sister's cat, the evergreens at my parents house, mold (this time of year is the worst!) and I still get red-faced and runny nose when I go to the office. But the reactions aren't as significant. Since my ENT hasn't seen any signs of fluid on my ears - I'm happy and will be asking him for another Rx for Fluticasone as I'm almost out! Be Well :bliss:
  • My recommendation is clear the congestion first. Then switch over to an antihistamine. I don't take both at the same time. I don't know if it's recommended or not - I just steer clear. And having only one kidney, I monitor meds very carefully. If you also suffer from year round allergies, in order to prevent fluid build up, get yourself on a regimen that will keep your sinuses "dry" (as much as they can be) which in turn should help reduce fluid in the inner ear. And start using eardrops - either a homemade remedy as suggested by others or something like the Similasan to dry the outer ear (ear canal) to prevent swimmers ear when you're swimming. I would also recommend finding a good ENT that can help you manage all of your allergy symptoms and help manage the vertigo and its triggers. Bottom line, I don't really trust a general MD with my ears!
  • Former Member
    My recommendation is clear the congestion first. Then switch over to an antihistamine. I don't take both at the same time. I don't know if it's recommended or not - I just steer clear. And having only one kidney, I monitor meds very carefully. If you also suffer from year round allergies, in order to prevent fluid build up, get yourself on a regimen that will keep your sinuses "dry" (as much as they can be) which in turn should help reduce fluid in the inner ear. And start using eardrops - either a homemade remedy as suggested by others or something like the Similasan to dry the outer ear (ear canal) to prevent swimmers ear when you're swimming. I would also recommend finding a good ENT that can help you manage all of your allergy symptoms and help manage the vertigo and its triggers. Bottom line, I don't really trust a general MD with my ears! dulfin, thanks. I am taking the Nasonex and the decongestant. I was very diligent about using my homemade ear drops, then stopped for awhile. I've learned my lesson. I have a decent ENT. The problem is that I don't want to take allergy meds year round, or even at all. I am going to try Dymista. (SP?) It's a combo of nasal cortosteroid & antihistamine. Have you heard of it?
  • Former Member
    Hi dulfin, it sounds like we both suffer from similar issues. I have year round allergies, and right now, the cold front and mold from the dampness is causing lots of congestion and sneezing. I hate to take meds. I haven't had antiobiotics in 5 years and hated taking these ear drops, but I'm afraid to take a chance that this could turn into the 9 months of vertigo I suffered from 5 years ago after an upper respiratory infection. Just to clarify--will the ear drops and a decongestant work? Or should I take an antihistamine with the ear drops?
  • dulfin, I take Nasonex everyday, and the side effects seemed worse, or so I thought. Hmmm, now I don't know what to do. Ironically, I take Nasonex to keep my nasal passages less swollen yet I realized when I looked online yesterday that the side effects (dizziness--which I have) and sinusitis (which i get often) could be worse than not taking anything at all! I hate taking allergy meds. They really dry me out and I already am a person who is always thirsty (mouth breather), drinking liters of water a day (and visiting the latrine all too often). Renie - this is definitely the mystery of "better living through chemistry"...every body is different and different in how it reacts. My best recommendation is to have a good conversation with your ENT and see if you can't find a way to manage symptoms naturally (don't even know if that's possible for allergies) or with the least side effects possible. My guess is you may have to try different products to find the right one. Or you may even have to switch as you may have developed a tolerance. On another note, have you talked to your ENT about being a mouth breather? Maybe there's something else going on with your sinuses???? LOL - just got my Swimmer magazine and starting thumbing through it. Page 14 - Swimmer's ear....ah ha ha ha. Ok, interesting read, but I still wouldn't use a blow dryer to dry my ear!
  • I was getting at least one ear infection every 9-10 months, usually in the right ear, because the ear canal is small and "oddly shaped," according to one of my doctors, which makes it easier for fluid and wax to build up. I get generic silicone ear plugs and use a new pair every time I swim. I work out three times a week, so I generally need to pick up a box of the things every two weeks. The CVS generic brand is about $6 per box. I also use Mucinex every day to keep my sinuses clear, as well as a generic brand of Zyrtec, to combat any allergy-related fluid build-up. Periodically I use hydrogen peroxide to clean out any wax that might be building up. But the ear plugs are my main line of defense. I use them every time I swim, even if I'm only in the water for an hour. I don't take them out until I've had my shower and dried off. (And I swim at a Y where the water is generally very clean). So far, knock on wood, these precautions seem to be working. I haven't had an ear infection for over a year.
  • I am going to try Dymista. (SP?) It's a combo of nasal cortosteroid & antihistamine. Have you heard of it? OMGosh! Never heard of it but just googled. Wouldn't take it if my life depended on it. Did you read the side effects?!?! :badday::afraid: It says it's a combo of Fluticasone and something else. Never heard of that something else. And Fluticasone doesn't have the same potential serious side effects. LOL Though in my mind all drugs are bad. I've no insight or recommendation for you on this one. Good luck
  • Former Member
    dulfin, I take Nasonex everyday, and the side effects seemed worse, or so I thought. Hmmm, now I don't know what to do. Ironically, I take Nasonex to keep my nasal passages less swollen yet I realized when I looked online yesterday that the side effects (dizziness--which I have) and sinusitis (which i get often) could be worse than not taking anything at all! I hate taking allergy meds. They really dry me out and I already am a person who is always thirsty (mouth breather), drinking liters of water a day (and visiting the latrine all too often).